Monday, July 27, 2015

Julep - India

So I had a rough few breathing days but now a good few so yay! back to posting!

Today's colour actually turned out to be stunning and I am so in love! Julep's "India"!

Julep's "India" was part of the infamous Wanderlust Collection of August 2014. I say infamous because that was the month the company seemed to fall apart. I nearly jumped ship. For those of you who don't know, Julep is mainly a nail polish subscription box company. They have been around for roughly 3 years and ship to the US and Canada. They have quite a loyal following and create a monthly collection of nail colours, nail care and beauty products. I've been a subscriber since September of 2013. In August 2014 the company was undergoing some changes (moving warehouses or some such nonsense, the real truth, I am sure will never be fully known) and absolute mayhem ensued. Many of us who ordered never received anything despite being lied to over the phone & told our boxes were shipped (in my case I was told 3 times on the phone that my box was absolutely 100% shipped but then 2 days after the 3rd call I received an email that I would not be receiving a box, too bad for me). Some subscribers received empty boxes, some received gum wrappers, another got an old pen with a chewed on pen cap, some got 10 of the same colour polish, others received only 1 polish out of the 10 they ordered, etc., etc. It was a total shit show. I nearly unsubscribed. I had actually initiated a chargeback with my bank to get my money back (over $100CND) but Julep agreed to refund me directly (so I reversed it) which ended up taking almost a month! I also had a lot of reward points I had accumulated and wanted to redeem before leaving. 

I am still with Julep but I skip most months now and my trust in them has never been fully redeemed. I still have one foot out the door and I see myself leaving very soon. I don't buy much from them anymore -- which is sad, I used to buy the full collection every month. But I don't like being lied to. If they had been honest with me, it would have been a whole different outcome. Lesson one in customer service: NEVER lie to people. They don't like it. And they will never trust you again.

Anyway, this polish was from that collection. I picked it up from someone who did get it and wasn't interested in it. Oddly, I haven't used it until this manicure! I don't know if it was from sitting so long or it was always like this but when it dried it had a really funky smell, like mothballs. Even after I put a topcoat on (Seche Vite) I could still smell it through the topcoat. Not sure if it was the pigments they used or what but it lasted a few days. Ew. :/ 
I used 3 coats of polish for this mani. No issues with the formula, just the mothball smell.

Under LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED desk lamp.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).


Macro direct sun.


Direct sun.


I really love the colour and the shimmer is really pretty for summer. Very oceanic. The blue is super saturated and rich. Definitely wear a base coat with this colour, all blues like this are likely to stain. I wear a base coat under ALL my manicures to protect my nails though I know some people don't (no idea why!) -- but for sure wear them under blue/green/red (these tend to stain). 

Where to buy? The Julep website but as of this moment they are presently sold out of this shade (they also only ship to US/Canada). You can try StoreEnvy and eBay and other sale/swap sites also.

NB: I purchased this polish myself. I have NO affiliation with the polish maker or websites discussed in this post.



1 comment: