Saturday, June 06, 2015

Quick Update -- Murphy

So everything in my life was kind of put on hold 11 days ago when my cat Murphy developed a urinary crystal blockage and I had to rush him to my vet. She managed to unblock him and I brought him home with prescription food and was told to push fluids (the usual stuff). Nope, he blocked again a few hours later. Back to the vet. I left him there last Thursday and... well... he's still there. They unblocked him and put in IV. Gave him time to pee. Nope. Sewed in a urinary catheter, left it in a few days, took it out, he blocked in less than 24 hours. She unblocked him and the next morning gave him anesthetic and sewed in catheter again. Yesterday night she took out the catheter. So far he's peeing ok but it's only been about 14 hours so we'll see. He stays there a few more days to make sure. If he blocks again then he gets the PU surgery (basically where they open up the urethra and make his boy parts look more like girl parts). So lots of wait and see. I've been in absolute agony this last week and a half. I've barely been able to eat. If it wasn't for my meds I wouldn't be able to sleep (& would likely have a migraine every single day). We've sold off a lot of stuff and I've applied for funding (& received it from the Farley Foundation). It's been an INSANE time. I've had to remember to do normal things like pay the other bills like electricity and phone and to eat and shower. Life is hard when stuff like this happens. I know to some people it's "just a cat" but not to me. I don't have kids, my cats ARE my kids! I'm very close to them. We have a strong bond. So does my boyfriend. They sleep with us at night. And with Murphy, he was a rescue cat with an abusive past and it has taken me the last 2 years to turn him from a scratching shivering mean cat into a sweet little love bug (seriously, he's the vet clinic sweetheart right now, when he leaves he will break a lot of hearts!). I can't wait to get him home but I don't want to rush things. I am also trying hard not to do the whole "counting chickens" things. I did that last week and it crushed me. He looked SO GOOD on Monday and I assumed he'd come home maybe Tuesday or Wednesday and I was all excited. Nope. Monday night I got a call he was totally blocked again and the nightmare was starting over from the beginning. My heart was broken. So I'm trying hard to just go day-by-day/moment-by-moment. Not looking ahead.

That being said, I DO have some blog posts to catch up on! My Sisterhood of the Traveling Polish (an absolute beauty!!!) and the May OwlCrate (awesome!!). In the meantime, here is my Murphy in his healthier days. He was helping me study (during finals in grad school) and I put a mousie on his head. He sat there all cute and let me take his picture. <3

1 comment: