Sunday, May 17, 2015

Ruby Wing - Strawberry Shortcake

Holographic solar colour-changing gold glitter scented polish -- what?! Yep. :)

Even though the Queen's birthday isn't until the 24th, Canada decided to celebrate it on the 18th this year so I decided to bling out my nails because... well... the Queen... ALL Queens... <3 <3

This mani is making me think that I might have THE perfect idea for a daily mani challenge in June: 30 Days of Glitter! I definitely have more than enough glitter polishes to cover 30 days. Hmm...

Back to "Strawberry Shortcake" (yeah, she's scented!). Strangely, this is an untried from my stash. It always seemed like TOO much but today it seems too perfect so out it came. And honestly, now I want ALL THE RUBY WINGS!

Read on to see why you will too!

Ruby Wing is a somewhat independent polish maker based in NYC. They are cruelty-free, vegan and have a very ethical company (donating to charities such as GLAAD, Autism Speaks, and the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund). They have a wide range of colour changing polishes (not just glitters), some scented, others are not. This was my first (and my only, though I need to change that!!). 
"Strawberry Shortcake" is part of the Cupcakes & Champagne Collection from Fall 2013.

Formula-wise, this polish was SO easy to work with. I've had it over a year but it wasn't thick at all. I used 4 coats which is a lot for me but I wanted it super crazy sparkly. :) I topped with Seche Vite (I'm a topcoat addict, I can't help it!). I must point out though, the polish dried shiny on it's own so a topcoat isn't necessary. Cleanup was remarkably easy despite this being a glitter but I didn't have too much on my cuticles anyway. Dry time was typical.

This polish is SERIOUSLY SPARKLY!!!! I wish my camera could've picked up just how glittery it is. It's shooting rainbows with every movement. I'm kind of in love. I'm not normally a fan of gold but this one is amazing! Ok, onto some pictures.

Under LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED desk lamp.


A blurry one so you can see the rainbows. :p It's like Christmas in a bottle!


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun). You can see it changing a bit already!! Crazy! It was instant the minute I got outside even with no sun shining on it!


Direct sunlight (outside).


Macro in direct sunlight (outside).



Pulling back into the shade, you can see it transitions back to pink rather quickly (and once indoors it goes back to gold quickly).


Not sure if this video will work or not, it's a Snapchat video showing the transition from shade to full sun and back again so you can see the glitter and colour shift. :)



Overall, I am loving this polish! It's fun, it's pretty, it's different. I want more of these polishes! I'm kind of kicking myself for not trying this one sooner! And I keep wanting to run in & out just to watch the colour change. :p

Where to buy? You can order from the Ruby Wing website or from one of their distributors (I bought mine from Nail Polish Canada). You can also purchase them from Amazon and eBay.

NB: I bought this polish myself. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish maker or websites discussed in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment