Thursday, March 12, 2015

Julep LuLu & Harmony

I recently received my March box (The Pop! Collection) from Julep. I was drawn in by the pastel shades this month (I'm an 80's teen!). It was hard to decide what to wear but settled on "LuLu" with the glitter topper "Harmony" to finish.

Julep is a US-based beauty brand that started as a polish subscription service but has branched out into skin care, hair, and makeup. Their polishes are 5-free, most are vegan, all are cruelty-free.
This shade, "LuLu" is a pale lavender with a "soft focus finish" -- just a fancy way of saying it doesn't dry with a shine like most creme polishes do, but not a true matte, somewhere in-between. "Harmony" is an iridescent flakie glitter topper that shifts mainly blue & gold. Similar to a lot of other flakie glitter toppers on the market. 

"LuLu" -- the formula was somewhat thick and streaky. I wasn't pleased with this. It self-levels somewhat but it wasn't easy to get good coverage. I used 2 coats of polish for this mani.

"Harmony" -- the glitter is pretty but a lot of the flakie pieces of glitter were very large and this resulted in many pieces being folded, meaning I had to manipulate them with the brush or a dotting tool to get them to lie flat (or leave them looking bunchy on the nail). The clear base was really thick (supposedly to keep the glitter suspended). I found I was fishing for glitter, which was kind of annoying since looking at the bottle, it looks packed with glitter. I applied 2 coats of "Harmony" over "LuLu" and this is all I could get with fishing and such.

I did not add a topcoat to this mani.

Under LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED desk lamp.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.



Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).


Outside, shaded daylight.


After taking these photos I removed this polish. It felt too goopy and wasn't drying well. I'm not sure where the problem was. Maybe it would have been better to wear "LuLu" alone? I dunno. I'll probably try wearing her again without the glitter. And maybe the glitter over another polish? I wasn't really happy with the result here.

Where to buy? You can purchase Julep products directly from their website (with or without a subscription).

NB: I purchased these polishes myself. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish maker or websites discussed in this post.



No comments:

Post a Comment