Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My Nail Polish Collection (to date)

So FOREVER I had been storing my polishes in decorative boxes found at HomeSense. I had them arranged alphabetically but as my collection grew it was becoming increasingly impractical. Pretty boxes though! I think near the end I had about 10 of these large boxes in piles in my office room.


Then in the summer I won the Nail Polish Canada Great Polish Giveaway 2014 prize -- 200 more polishes showed up at my doorstep at the end of September (unboxing post here!). I had NO room at all. I needed a plan!

I started researching the different storage options. I considered IKEA's Helmer, Michael's Melmer (faux Hemler), IKEA Alex (the short and tall ones), etc. I didn't want racks for a few reasons: (1) The walls in this condo are either drywall or drywall over concrete. I do not want to risk hanging racks on the plain drywall sides and I'm not comfortable digging into the concrete on the other walls since we don't own this place. (2) DUST! I hate dust. And kitty furs. Anything "on display" would need frequent dusting and I can't think of anything more annoying! (3) Clutter. I hate it. Which is why I used the boxes before. I don't want to see it, it just looks messy to me. I don't like it. I like things neatly tucked away.

I also had to consider the size of my collection -- today I'm sitting at 1165 polishes (I have a spreadsheet). Yep. Some of that is from contests/giveaways, some I bought (I never pay full price though), some are minis. By December my polishes were in shambles as was this room. I also have a thing for books and there were stacks everywhere. It was a pain in the ass to even try finding a polish. My 200 polishes from Nail Polish Canada were sitting in the cardboard box they came in on the floor. It was depressing! As I mentioned, I don't like clutter! It was really stressing me out.

After a lot of thought I decided to go with IKEA stuff. I ordered a Hemnes bookcase since I already own 3 of them and some other Hemnes furniture (though they totally redesigned it and it doesn't match the others *grrr*), 2 tall 9-drawer Alex units (sadly, they only come in white), and a red Helmer for my makeup (another disaster, another story for another day!). I paid for shipping since we don't drive ($100). It took a week to show up which I thought was excessive but whatever. Also, the delivery guys got lost (no idea how, we're in a very easy to find place), showed up an hour and a half late, then gave us a hard time when they did get here. Plus the new concierge was being a total dick and making us book the elevator complete with a $250 deposit cheque. More bitching from the delivery guys (no word of a lie, while Phil went downstairs to deal with concierge they called up to the apartment SIX times. Like it's my fault they were late. 

Anyway, once everything was up here Phil got to work building it all (I hate building IKEA stuff so I let him play macho man and get it done). I am SO GLAD I got the Alex units for my polish! The Helmer is a flimsy annoying piece of crap. I'm using it for my makeup but no way would I feel comfy putting my polishes in there! Yes, the drawers on the tall Alex units only pull out 3/4 but it's not like you can't get to things "back there", they're just not as visible as the rest of the stuff. 

Here's the Hemnes bookcase and Alex units in my messy office!


I kept some of the boxes to hold the odds & ends (backups, mani stuff, nail art stuff, etc.). I LOVELOVELOVE the Alex units!! They are seriously perfect. I don't have a pic of the Helmer (it's in the bedroom next to my makeup table) but to compare, I'd need about 5 Helmers to equal these 2 Alex units -- and the quality is WAY different. These units are wood/particle board/whatever but they are solid and more furniture-like. The Helmer is flimsy sheet metal, the drawers stick and are tricky to get in/out, the drawers can easily pull out all the way and fall to the floor, it squeaks when you open it. I just really don't like the Helmer, if you can't tell! Cheaper, yes, but not nearly as nice.

Anyway, I made a video (as per request) of my polish collection as it is set up in the Alex units if you want to see. I speak softly (sorry!), I always feel like I'm yelling. LOL. I didn't line the drawers, I'm not really about anything flying around in there. I've seen people decorate the outside, I don't think I'm going to do that. I'm not putting drawer pulls or handles on the drawers either. I like things clean.

Let me know if you have any questions! Oh and these units all purchased from IKEA Canada (prices in Canadian dollars, not including tax) by ME. Hemnes bookcase ($180), Alex 9-drawer $149 each, Helmer $40. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with IKEA!

Edit: OK, I need drawer-liners! LOL. They DO slide around a lot even if you open the drawer slowly!


No comments:

Post a Comment