Monday, October 20, 2014

October's Amazing Autumn Mani Challenge! Day 20: Ear Muffs -- Zoya "Storm" & Picture Polish "Storm"

So this one was tricky because I don't actually own ear muffs. I should. It gets wicked cold here! I can never find ones I like (though browsing through images to find a pic for this post -- which I was unsuccessful -- I found a few that were super cute!). If I did have earmuffs, they would be black (duh) and not have any animal bits in them (no fur, cashmere, angora or wool). I also don't want them to look huge. I'm kinda fussy like that.

But anyway, I went with 2 different polishes called "Storm". Seriously fun there!

Want to know more about this mani challenge and maybe jump in (it's not too late!)? Click here!

I'm not one for chunky glitter toppers and if I didn't win this one in a giveaway, I never would have tried it. Of course, once I did try it I totally fell in love!! It really does look like a snowstorm hit your nails and there is nothing I love more than snow! <3 So I went for an "earmuffs covered in snow" look. Make sense?

For the base colour I used Zoya's "Storm" -- a black creme polish with holographic shimmer. I used 2 coats and it's sooo pretty! I even took pics of it before giving it the snow treatment so you can see! Zoya  describes this shade as a "full coverage holiday black with a high concentration of micro fine diamond holographic glitter". That's a pretty fancy and over-the-top way to say "black polish with holo shimmer". It was released as part of the 2012 Ornate collection. Zoya polishes are 5-free, cruelty-free, and vegan. (yay!) I will show you Zoya's "Storm" without the snow treatment first then explain about the other polish. One thing at a time! ;)

Zoya's "Storm" without topcoat, under LED desk light.


Macro of Zoya's "Storm" (no topcoat), under LED desk light.


OK. So the glitter topper is piCture pOlish "Storm" -- multishaped matte white glitter in a clear base. This shade was released in May 2014. piCture pOlish is 5-free, cruelty-free, and vegan (yay!). After applying 2 coats of Zoya's "Storm" I used one coat of piCture pOlish "Storm" and topped with Seche Vite (not 3-free but cruelty-free and vegan). The glitter went on smoothly and I love how some of them clumped together like real snow does! Of course, it would have been easy to smooth it out and have just a light dusting of glitter -- or build it up and make it really heavy. :)

Under LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED desk lamp.


Indoors, bright cloudy day (no sun), near windows. Sorry for the blurring, I didn't realize until I went to edit the photos. Grr.


Outside, bright cloudy daylight (no sun).


No sun. Boo. October in Ontario is always cloudy/raining. Such is life. See the orange trees in the background?? :)


I really love how this turned out. Like I said, I'm not a chunky glitter person but this one is so fun -- I will definitely use it again. The Zoya "Storm" is pretty on it's own and the piCture pOlish "Storm" would look good over a lot of different colours. I have a feeling it will get a lot of wear over the winter!!

Where to buy?? Zoya polishes can be purchased from their website (though they don't ship outside the US & that TOTALLY sucks!). I think some salons and beauty stores carry them?? In Canada I always buy them from Nail Polish Canada. piCture pOlish can be purchased from their site (though it's based in Australia) and from a LOT of online distributors (check their site for local links). In North America you can buy their polishes from Nail Polish Canada, Harlow & Co, and Llarowe.

NB: I won both of these polishes in a giveaway hosted by Nail Polish Canada. piCture pOlish was one of the sponsors -- thank you!! Zoya was not one of the sponsors. Though I received these polishes as the winner, they were not given in exchange for a review. My opinions are entirely independent of the giveaway. I also have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish makers or websites discussed in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment