Sunday, October 05, 2014

October's Amazing Autumn Mani Challenge! Day 5: Wine - Revlon Parfumerie Bordeaux

Yay! Day 5 of the mani challenge! Today's shade is "wine (burgundy)". I had to stretch that a bit because I was dying to use Revlon's Parfumerie in "Bordeaux" because it's wine-scented & has been an untried in my stash since I bought it last year!

Want to know more about the Amazing Autumn Mani challenge & maybe jump in?? Click here to find out more!




Any excuse to wear red, right?? I was totally planning to do a burgundy shade but this one was better I think because it was scented! :p

In digging deeper into Revlon I realized what a controversy their animal testing policy has been. They have claimed for years that they did NOT test on animals -- but this is only half true. In some of the countries they market/sell too (e.g. China) they are required by law to test their products on animals (no idea why, it's outdated and archaic if you ask me). Even though Revlon recently announced they are pulling their products out of China, they have not made a firm, absolute statement on the animal testing situation and continue to be vague and not directly answer the questions posed to them. They also think it's ok to hire a third party company to do the testing so they can say THEY don't test on animals in-house. Lame. So when I bought this collection (yep, I have nearly all of them), I was under the impression this was a cruelty-free product. I know differently now. What to do? Tossing them out won't change anything, the damage is already done. I'm keeping them. But I thought I'd put it out there so you are aware also and can make your own decisions.

The good news is that the ingredients list on this particular polish seems to indicate it is 3- and possibly 5-free. The bottle design is super cute, like little perfume bottles -- but that knobby brush handle is difficult to work with, in my opinion.

I used 2 coats of "Bordeaux" and one coat of Seche Vite. The polish dries very shiny and using a topcoat does dampen the fragrance a bit (but not entirely). I always add topcoat for durability and extra shine. :) The fragrance is fairly strong so if you are sensitive, this polish should be skipped. I'm kinda in the middle, some scents bother me and I'm ok with others. This one was fine but in the past I used the blue one, I think it's a beachy one -- gave me an instant migraine and made me nauseated. Opening the polishes in store won't help you decide what will work on you or not since the fragrance only seems to become prominent once it dries.

Under LED desk lamp.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).



I really love this polish -- it's ok for a red but the scent gives it something extra, a touch of elegance. It really does smell like a red wine. I just wish the colour was a touch darker.

Where to buy this?? I haven't seen any stores carry this regularly as part of a standing collection, usually only random display models that seem to sell out quickly. I'm not sure what other people have seen in their cities??

NB: I purchased this polish myself. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish maker featured in this post.

1 comment:

  1. The internet just gobbled up a big reply to this - argh! Anyhow, fab colour on you, and given that the Parfumeries are all over my fb at the minute (as they're in £1 shops at the same time as they're full price in drug stores, and some stamp well), it's nice to finally read a review. Glad it's not upsetting you, like some of the others!

    Interesting about Revlon, but there are lots of valid reasons to use a Contract Research Organisation and not in-house. Even global pharma like Astra Zeneca do both! So, whether cynics are twisting that move, or that move was made to say 'we don't test on animals' would be interesting to know more about... Anyhow, I own no Revlons, and it'll stay that way. Inspires me to look into a few more brands though! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete