Monday, October 13, 2014

October's Amazing Autumn Mani Challenge! Day 13: Ugg Boots - OPI's DS Classic

I hope all my fellow Canadians have had a nice Thanksgiving weekend. For those of you who don't know, Canada has their own Thanksgiving holiday that has nothing whatsoever to do with the US Thanksgiving holiday. It's also not nearly as big of a holiday here. It just means everyone gets a Stat Holiday today and everything is closed. :)

This one was weird because I don't own Ugg boots and never had a desire too. I think they make women look like they have stumpy legs, but that's just me. I know some people love them and I'm sure they're warm. I'm just more of a cruelty-free boot-wearer I guess.

Anyway, for today's mani there were a number of shades I considered going with but settled on OPI's DS Classic (DS stands for "Designer Series").

Want to know more about this mani challenge or to jump in? Click here!



For those of you who don't know, Ugg Boots are super popular fuzzy wool/leather boots worn year-round. I think the trend was started by random celebrities but now they are so ubiquitous it's kind of ridiculous (though, interestingly, I did not see a single pair of Uggs, or leggings for that matter, on a single person when I was in Paris). They come in a variety of styles and colours. The company is based in Australia. There are a number of animal rights organizations that have explored just how un-cruelty-free Ugg boots are since some people think it's not harmful to sheer sheep (it actually is a really gross and disgusting business that I want no part of). That being said, to each their own. Wear 'em or not, I don't care. If you DO like the style but not the animal-hurting part, there are TONS of vegan footwear manufacturers that make identical styles of excellent quality. Just Google "vegan ugg boots" or "vegan shoes" to find them.

For this mani I started out with Julep's "Noelle" (described as a, "sandy beach silk"), but it's such a sheer shade, it made me look like I had no fingernails. It was kinda weird and totally didn't reflect the concept of today's challenge. So I went with OPI's "DS Classic" -- kind of a nude-brown/golden beige scattered holo. The Designer Series (DS) polishes are a bit harder to find, you can see the list of them on the OPI site here. The formula was awesome and super easy to work with. I used 2 coats for this mani and topped with Seche Vite. Note: OPI polishes are 3-free, cruelty-free, and vegan. Seche Vite is NOT 3-free but IS cruelty-free and vegan.

Under LED lamp.


Macro under LED lamp.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright (but cloudy) daylight, no direct sun.


Outside, hazy sun/clouds.


Overall, I love this polish and I'm not a huge fan of beige or brown or neutrals. I think the scattered holo gives it some bling but in an elegant way.

Where to buy?? OPI polishes can be purchased at a number of retail outlets and salons. But as I mentioned, the DS polishes are trickier to find (they have the silver caps though, so if you're looking, it's a sign!). Nail Polish Canada (based in Canada, ships to US & Canada) does have some of them (including "DS Classic"). They are pricier than regular OPI polishes.

NB: I received this polish as part of the Nail Polish Canada Great Polish Giveaway 2014. However, the polish was not given in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment