Tuesday, October 14, 2014

October's Amazing Autumn Mani Challenge! Day 14: Wellies - Julep's "Ledi"

Day 14 already, nearly the halfway point! I'm actually really enjoying this month. I'm thinking of taking next month off from mani challenges though. I'll be up to my eyeballs in novel-writing for NaNoWriMo and won't have time for daily manis and blogging. I'm sure I'll get a few posts up but not everyday and I don't want to commit to something I really can't deliver on. December will be fun though, I'll have to come up with something holiday-themed!

As an aside, I contacted DavidsTea head office to find out when exactly the "24 Days of Tea" calendars would be released and to confirm price (since they sell out so fast). They are indeed available in-store and online on November 1st and will be $34.50 (CND). I asked if they were new teas or similar to those in previous calendars and they said it would be a new selection. So yes, get ready! I'm super excited about this!

Ok. For today's mani I went traditional with the Wellies idea and did a pearly black.

Want to know more about this mani challenge & maybe jump in?? Click here!



Wellies are traditionally black rubber boots -- though they are now available in a very wide range of colours, patterns, and styles. I own a pair of black Hunter wellies which suit me fine, though I've been eyeballing a pretty pair of red ones lately. :)

The shade I selected is "Ledi" by Julep. It's from the October 2014 Black Magic Collection and it just arrived in my Julep Maven subscription box last week. It's described by Julep as a, "black pearl shimmer" & while Wellies are rubber and not pearly, they do naturally get a white dusting on them after a while. That being said, I am sure you can find black shimmery Wellies! This polish is 5-free, cruelty-free, and vegan. I went with 2 coats of "Ledi" and topped with Seche Vite (NOT 3-free but is cruelty-free and vegan). I was hoping this shade was as opaque as my favourite black (Julep's "Jet") but sadly, it wasn't. I would have used Jet for this mani but I used it many times before and wanted to try one of my newer polishes. The shimmer in "Ledi" is only really visible under certain lights. I think it would be hard to see it if you don't use a topcoat. I ALWAYS use a topcoat for longevity and durability and shine (& Seche Vite makes polishes dry soooo fast!).

Under LED light.


Macro under LED light.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright daylight, no direct sun.


The sun is on the other side of the building (we face north). Not up for running downstairs and around the building with wet nails for a sun pic!


Indoors under halogen track lighting in the kitchen.


Macro under halogen track lighting.


I like this polish but MUCH prefer Julep's "Jet" for a go-to black. This one does have visible shimmer but it's hard to see in a lot of lighting and just looks glossy black most of the time. There are black polishes that have a way more visible shimmer/glitter (off the top of my head: NCLA's "My Dad Invented That", Zoya's "Storm", and Picture Polish/Llarowe's "Starry Night"). 

Where to buy?? Julep polishes can be purchased from their website (with or without a subscription) and at Sephora (online and in-store).

NB: I purchased this polish myself. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish maker or websites discussed in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment