Sunday, October 26, 2014

October's Amazing Autumn Mani Challenge! Day 25: Warm Mittens -- stamping over Ciate's Velvet Manicure

Yes, behind again! Seriously though, I did 3 manis yesterday and I'm just drained from doing so many back-to-back mani challenges. This month has been my absolute favourite so far but I think I'm done after the 27th. I will be forfeiting the last 4 manicures of this challenge. Why? I need to get ready for NaNoWriMo. My brain is wanting to focus on that. Plus I want to get some "spring cleaning" done. I've already put all my summer stuff away and pulled out the winter stuff. But the apartment is kind of a mess. I want to do a nice big thorough cleaning before NaNoWriMo starts so I can just focus on that rather than being distracted by a messy house. Does that make sense?? So yeah, as much as I LOVE these mani challenges (obviously, I've done so many in a row!) I need time to get other stuff done. Believe it or not (I'm sure you believe it), daily manis, photo editing and blog posts are very time consuming. Letting go of the last 4 days of this month was a hard decision but I think it's ultimately the right one for me. :)

Want to know more about the Amazing Autumn Mani Challenge? Click here!

That being said, I will be posting sporadically throughout November. No mani challenges!! But I have a few products to review and it's not like I plan on rocking bare nails throughout November or anything. November is also my birthday month (the 29th), hoping to get my 50,000 words done before that so I can celebrate guilt-free! I also plan on coming up with a super awesome, crazy sparkly December mani challenge. :)

Anyway, for Day 25: Warm Mittens I thought it would be the best time to pull out my grey Ciate Velvet Manicure kit. I bought it at a discount chain store last year and haven't used it yet. I decided to go a step further and attempt stamping over it. That was kind of a fail but it's still fun to try. :)

So this is what the Velvet Manicure kit looks like. I know there's a burgundy version out there (which I think would be fun) & a dark blue one but when I bought this they only had the grey. I don't like how the pic on the box shows flocked lips. It's gross and has nothing to do with this manicure kit. Ew.



The kit comes with a full-sized bottle of grey creme polish ("Cream Soda"), a large tube of grey velvet flocking powder, and a small brush (& an instruction sheet). The instructions are pretty simple. Apply one coat of polish, let it dry. Apply 2nd coat of polish then shake the flocking powder onto the wet polish. Let dry, brush away the excess. Enjoy. Now, this isn't a mani that will (or should) last days. The minute you wash your hands you're (a) going to lose some of the "velvet" and (b) get the "velvet" wet and it'll take time to dry. It's just pretty. For a while. It'll also drive you bonkers if you're like me and can't tolerate most textures (I'm hypersensitive to textures, even cotton balls creep me out badly). Lets just say I didn't wear this mani long. :p

I decided to try stamping over it, inspired by this post on Didoline's Nails (it's in French), but you can see she pulls it off beautifully (for reals, go look, it looks awesome!) and mine came out... well... like what mixing paint and wool looks like. LOL!

For the stamping I used the same plate as the other blogger did: Nailz Craze NC03 (the same one I used for my teacup mani a few days ago -- which I still think is awesome!). I used Konad's white stamping polish which I have a love/hate relationship with. I have Mundo De Unas stamping polish on the way, which I've never tried but heard is superior to most other stamping polishes. Excited to get my hands on them! (I ordered 10 minis and a kitty stamping plate *woo!*).

Anyway, here's the results!

Under LED desk lamp.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright day (no direct sun).


As the season has changed the sun is now only on my balcony for about an hour each day (if that, we face north). Thinking of investing in a light box for winter manis!


Nailz Craze stamping plate NC03.


I found this mani surprisingly fun and tolerable for a textured nail design. Obviously the stamping was a fail, I'm cool with that. I don't have the wicked stamping skills that some people do, but I'm ok with that. :) I like the grey but I'm interested in trying the burgundy kit if I can find it on sale somewhere. Of course, you can just buy your own flocking powder online or at a craft store (like Michaels) and create your own velvet manicure, you don't have to buy a special kit!

Where to buy this stuff? I have seen the velvet mani sets at Sephora (online and in store). I'm sure you can order them online from other Ciate distributors (or directly from their website -- but they are in the UK so find out if polish can be shipped to you from them first! I know the postal regulations have tightened up on polish and perfume). The Nailz Craze plate can be purchased from her Etsy shop. Konad stamping polish can be purchased from a lot of different online shops. 


1 comment:

  1. Soft and beautiful :) Hats off to doing 3 in one day! Enjoy the pre-challenge rest :)

    ReplyDelete