Monday, September 29, 2014

September Is Stamping Month! Day 29…

So when creating the September stamping challenge I left the last two days open for whatever the participants wanted. It's good to throw in a few free days, I think. :) I did my last 2 manis last night and it felt good to complete the challenge. I'll share one with you today and the other one tomorrow. The next mani challenge ("Amazing Autumn Mani Challenge") starts Wednesday and I'm sooo excited! (scroll to the bottom for details about this!)

For today's mani, I was inspired by my friend Mary's recent trip to California where she picked up several sugar skulls. What is a sugar skull?? You can read up about them here but as a super quick run-down… they are traditionally little (or very large!) skull candies made during the Dia de los Muertos ("Day Of The Dead") celebrations in Mexico at the end of October/beginning of November. These candies are offered to both living and dead people -- if offered to the dead they are placed upon offering alters with other favourites that the deceased person had during their life. These skulls are also crafted from other materials such as clay & ceramic, and are very elaborately decorated. They are not meant to be a morbid gesture but more of a celebration of life, love, and memory (hence why the skulls are smiling!).

This mani was fun but I was having a bugger of a time with the stampers (getting better but still not perfect!). Why did I choose these particular images? The 2 sugar skulls were my favs out of the ones that would fit my nail beds! I love the chili peppers (I have a chili pepper keychain!). The cactus is only because I was dying to use a polish shade I have called "Wild Cactus" -- hahahaha! (yes, I AM a nerd!).

So what did I use?? For the base colour, 2 coats of OPI's "My Boyfriend Scales Walls". For stamping: cactus image on pinky was Color Club's "Wild Cactus" (*hehe*), the sugar skull on the ring finger is Konad's blue stamping polish, the sugar skull on the middle finger is Konad's black stamping polish, the chili peppers on the index finger is Konad's red stamping polish. I DID colour in the chili peppers with acrylic paint. I wanted to add colour to the sugar skulls but they were SO TINY and I am SO OLD that I couldn't see that fine of detail. I don't have a fancy lighted magnifying glass on a stand (hmmm… maybe I need one?). My reading glasses weren't enough, it would've turned into a big blobby mess. So I kept it simple.

Oh, and I used 2 stamping plates: the index, ring, and pinky fingers were done with the Cheeky Jumbo Stamping plate 1 "Viva Mexico". The middle finger was done with Bundle Monster's BM-413 stamping plate. See images below.

And yes, I KNOW the middle sugar skull is crooked. I stamped it last and I didn't want to ruin the other nails by trying to remove it, repaint and re-stamp that one so I just left it.

Under LED desk lamp.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).


Direct sun.


Cheeky Jumbo Stamping Plate 1 "Viva Mexico".


Cheeky Jumbo Stamping Plate 1 "Viva Mexico".


Bundle Monster plate BM-413.


Overall I love this mani and want to do it again next month! Maybe I'll even try colouring then. ;)

Where to buy this stuff?? OPI polish is easy to find and purchase. As are Konad's stamping polish. Color Club polishes are fairly easy to find (this one is from the Fiesta Collection Spring 2013). The Cheeky stamping plates can be purchased from their website or on Amazon. The Bundle Monster plates can be purchased from their website or one of their distributors.

NB: I purchased all these items myself. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish/product makers or websites discussed in this post.

Please check out the other September is Stamping Month participants!

Also, there's only a few days until the next mani challenge begins! Lady Loves Lacquer is hosting this one so go read through her post and let her know if you're participating!! I'm totally in and super excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment