Saturday, September 13, 2014

September Is Stamping Month! Day 13: School

Even though I'm taking this year off grad school (medical leave), I LOVELOVELOVE school-related things! I love shopping for school supplies and books. So naturally, school-themed nails had to be part of the challenge, especially since it's September.
Want to know more about this mani challenge? Click here.

It was tricky to narrow down which designs to use -- so many fun ones! I used the Cheeky Jumbo 4 plate, "Top Of The Class" for this mani (see images below). The base colour is OPI's "My Boyfriend Scales Walls" (still loving this white! I think because it's not a super-bright white, it kinda has a teensy touch of grey to it -- and it's not streaky and dries super shiny!). I used Konad's black stamping polish for thumb, middle, and ring fingers. I used Konad's blue stamping polish on the index finger and Sally Hansen's Silver Sweep (Insta-dri) for the pinky. To detail the Starbucks cup, I used acrylic paint and a very tiny brush! Seche Vite to top.

Oh, and I know I smushed the owl. Or rather, the polish under the owl. I redid that nail THREE times and finally said "screw this!". It wasn't the stamping plate or the stamper (well, maybe the stamper). By the 3rd try I was impatient and didn't wait for the polish to dry 100% so it smushed when I pressed the stamper onto the nail. Grr.

Under LED desk lamp.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outdoors, bright daylight (no direct sun).


Thumb design. Dancing kids?


No real sun, kinda cloudy/hazy. Boo.


Cheeky Jumbo Plate 4, "Top Of The Class".




Overall, I love this mani -- esp the Starbucks cup! This plate has a lot of good images if you want to do a school-themed mani. I had no problems stamping any of the images (tried several others on paper). My only issue with these jumbo plates (which wouldn't be an issue for most people, I think) is I have teeny tiny nail beds so some of the full-nail images would look silly since I'd only manage to get a fraction of it on my nail. Some people love these plates because they have larger nail beds and need a bigger image. Just something to be aware of I guess. :)

Where to buy this stuff? OPI polish is widely available, as are the Konad stamping polishes. Sally Hansen's "Silver Sweep" (used on my pinky for the paper clip) is widely available and stamps really well (it's one of the polishes from the Insta-Dri line). Using acrylic paint is fun and super easy on nails. It washes off with soap/water so if you mess up it's easy to correct -- plus it doesn't smudge with topcoat. The Cheeky Jumbo plate I purchased on Amazon but you can also order directly from their website.

NB: I purchased all these items myself. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with any of the polish/product makers or websites discussed in this post.

Please check out the other September Is Stamping Month participants!

No comments:

Post a Comment