Tuesday, August 26, 2014

August Is Indie Month! Day 26: CULT Cosmetics - El Matador

Day 26! We're in the home stretch!

Want to know more about the Indie August mani challenge?? click here!

For Day 26 I selected the brand CULT and the shade "El Matador". I LOVE red polish!!!

CULT Cosmetics is a California-based polish maker. They are 5-free and cruelty-free. They mainly run a subscription box (called the Blackbox) and boast 1-coat polishes at a great price. You can purchase their products & kits without a subscription and they often have sales. I had a subscription for 3 months (I always give sub boxes 3 months to impress me!). I didn't unsub because of bad products or anything, it was just getting expensive and I had other brands I wanted to try.

The formula and consistency was awesome! I especially love the brush -- not too thick but plush, if that makes sense! It was very easy to work with and apply. They say the polish is one coat. I beg to differ. I could still see my nail line after one generous coat, so I ended up doing another light coat on top of that. It dries quickly and SUPER SHINY! I didn't use a topcoat for this mani! I would probably use one if I was going to wear this mani for more than a day just for durability, but I was impressed with how shiny it dried. The red was well-saturated. Cleanup was fairly easy, a little pink staining/smearing but nothing to get huffy about.

Under LED desk lamp.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright daylight, no direct sun.


Stupid clouds ruined my plan for a sunny pic. So this is kinda sunny/hazy/a bit cloudy. :/



 Overall, I was really impressed with this polish! I'm obsessed with red polish (it's my all-time fav polish colour) and this one looked pretty and was easy to work with. And the shiny finish is an extra bonus!

Where to buy CULT Cosmetics? Go to their website to check out their products, kits, and find nail art inspiration! Their Blackbox subscription is $19.99US a month + S/H (at present). Shipping to US is $5US & shipping to Canada is $8US (with the crappy exchange rate earlier this year it was well over $30/month and seemed to take forever to get here). You CAN skip whenever and you CAN unsub online. What's in the Blackbox? You get 2 polishes and a full-sized beauty product. No peeking beforehand so your box contents are a surprise. I know people who adore this subscription far above Julep -- I can't comment on that as I am presently very unimpressed with Julep for a number of valid reasons. I have no complaints about CULT -- the products are good and worth the cost -- but shipping to Canada plus the exchange rate was working against them, so I unsubbed. I also had NO problems whatsoever when I unsubbed. No dramas at all!

NB: I purchased this polish myself. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish maker or websites discussed in this post. I am doing this just for fun!

Please check out what the other Indie August participants are up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment