Friday, August 22, 2014

August is Indie Month! Day 21: Indie Polish - More Smoke Than Fire & Pish Posh

I'm back! I didn't disappear! I just had a few days of severe migraines. This month is bad for them for some reason. So migraines, dark cool room, meds, sleep mask, and trying not to vomit. I had kitty nurses taking care of me, which was nice. Today I woke up without a migraine -- lets hope it lasts!!

Okay, Day 21 of Indie August. I can't believe it'll be over in just over a week. It went by so fast! I'm already gearing up for the September Challenge -- I'm making a stamping one! I will do a separate post about it so anyone who wants to join in for that can do so. I might do a colour one for October -- it'll give me a chance to use the NPC prize polishes I won. I would do it for September but I have no idea when those polishes will arrive -- plus, I already discussed doing September Stamping challenge with some ladies from our group -- and I'm super excited about it!

What's the Indie August challenge all about?? click here for all the details! :)

For Day 21 I selected Indie Polish's "More Smoke Than Fire" & "Pish Posh".

More after the jump!
Indie Polish is created by the lovely Tanya and is based in Toronto, Canada. Her polishes are 5-free, vegan, and cruelty-free (yay!). I found her polishes through Etsy last year and they are awesome! These two are the only ones I have by this brand -- but I love pink & grey together so it works well for me! These are also untrieds for me.


"More Smoke Than Fire" is a medium grey creme with holographic glitter particles. The formula was both thick and thin, if that makes sense. First coat was a bit streaky but it self-leveled and the 2nd coat made it opaque. It dried kinda rough with the glitters standing up from the rest of the polish as it dried and I didn't really see much of the holo glitter after the polish dried. I think I was expecting it to be more obvious than it was. That sounds negative but I don't mean it to be -- I think there's a lot of difference in most (if not all) polishes between how it looks in the bottle vs how it looks on the nail.


I put "Pish Posh" over all the nails because I think it's such a beautiful glitter!! I love pink & grey together! The pink hex's are smaller and kinda satiny and the small & medium grey hexes are matte. I love it! Unfortunately, I should've tested it out first since it had thickened in the bottle since I bought it. I should've added thinner but once I started polishing, I didn't want to go dig out my thinner. It made for difficult application, like applying glue. I had to try and separate the glitters during application -- they kept wanting to clump together. Again, sounds bad but it's my fault -- polishes will naturally thicken with time and I should've checked this one out before starting the mani. A few drops of thinner -- which I recommend everyone have on hand -- would smooth this out beautifully! I had no trouble getting glitter out -- there's enough packed into this clear base that glitter-fishing isn't a problem!

I used one layer of Seche Clear for my base coat, 2 layers of "More Smoke Than Fire", 2 layers of "Pish Posh" and one layer of Seche Vite to top it.

Under LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED light. You can see the holographic glitters kinda hazed out in the base -- they don't really sparkle. And in the glitter topcoat they are clumping together -- though I am sure this is my fault for not thinning the polish prior to application.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outdoors, bright daylight (no direct sun).


Stupid clouds! Trying to be sunny...


Despite my application problems, I'm really happy with how it turned out. I will definitely wear this combo again! Like I said, I love pink & grey together. :) Just a few drops of thinner will make Pish Posh like new again. <3

Where to buy Indie Polish?? You can visit the Indie Polish website or Etsy shop -- she ships internationally. As far as I know, she doesn't have a distributor at the moment. But I urge you to check out her sites, she has some amazingly creative polishes!

NB: I purchased these polishes myself. I have NO affiliation with the polish maker featured whatsoever. I am doing this just for fun!

Please check out the other Indie August participants and see what they're doing!


No comments:

Post a Comment