Wednesday, August 20, 2014

August Is Indie Month! Day 20: Serum No 5 - Shrinking Violet

Ok! After yesterday's excitement I'm ready to get back to the Indie August mani challenge! (want to know more about this challenge? click here for all the details!)

For today's mani I selected Serum No 5 -- a brand that I LOVE even though I only own a few of her polishes. I will be showing you "Shrinking Violet" but I'm going to sneak in a photo of a long-ago mani of "A Cup Of Teal" because it's sooo beautiful!

More after the jump!
Serum No 5 is an indie brand based in California. Their polishes are 3-free and each month they make a charitable donation based on the polishes sold (how cool!!). I will give you all the links and stuff down below, so stay with me!

Before I get into today's feature shade, I want to share an older mani I did in the winter using "A Cup Of Teal" (accent nail is Nails, Inc "Hammersmith")… isn't it GORGEOUS?! (also, the formula on this polish was *perfect*!!)

Under kitchen halogen track lighting.


Under regular incandescent lighting (no daylight, this was at night!)


Ok, onto today's feature polish! I bought "Shrinking Violet" a while ago but it sat untried (poor polish!). I knew it was sheer from the swatch stick I made and I was trying to figure out a good combo to use. It's sheer but yes, buildable -- but to an extent, plus I'm super pale and it would look weird to have such a pale polish base. So I had to pick a suitable undie. I WISH I had a Serum No 5 polish that worked (I only have 3), but I don't so I had to pick one from another brand. For this mani, I went with Julep's "Alice".

The lovely sparkles and glitters inside the bottle!


I used Seche Clear as my base coat, 1 layer of Julep's "Alice" as my undie, 2 layers of "Shrinking Violet" and one layer of Seche Vite. The formula for this polish was great -- I had no problems with the glitter at all and it was easy to apply, consistency was perfect!

Under LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED light.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun)


Clouds came when I was trying to get a sunny pic. Grr.


Sorta cloudy-sunny macro.


I LOVE how this mani turned out! I'm usually not a fan of chunky glitter but these colours and the size of the glitter really work. I'm happy with my choice of undie. I was tempted to go with something a bit darker, but I didn't want to lose the distinctness of the glitter combo. The polish itself isn't a clear base -- it's kind of a pale greyish milky lavender (if that makes sense!) so using a darker polish would grey it out. I love the little gold microglitter and the subtle shimmer. Pretty!!

Where to buy this polish?? You can check out the Serum No 5 website for all kinds of info (they do ship internationally!). I purchased the ones I own from Harlow & Co here in Canada. If you look on the Serum No 5 website, she has a listing of all the stockists, worldwide. Cheaper and faster to order from your closest one!

NB: I purchased the polishes discussed myself. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish maker or websites featured. I am doing this for fun!

Please take a peek at what the other Indie August participants are up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment