Sunday, August 17, 2014

August Is Indie Month! Day 17: Models Own - Vintage Pink

Yay! Getting caught up! I hate being "behind" in anything. :)

For Day 17 of the Indie August Mani challenge I selected Models Own. I have seen this brand a lot but only own a few shades. I recently purchased "Vintage Pink", which may seem weird but I'll explain!

(Want more info on the mani challenge? click here!)

More after the jump!

So FOREVER AND EVER I have been searching desperately for the *exact* dupe of Molly Ringwald's polish in The Breakfast Club (1985). Ever since I saw the film I have wanted that colour! (Yes, I am THAT old that I saw this movie in theatres when I was 13… you shush!). I wanted her outfit too, even although my aesthetic was more in line with Ally Sheedy's character Allison (always an Allison, never a Claire!). Some bloggers have described this as an old lady colour -- I don't think it is. It's just a neutral -- though I know some people really hate neutrals! I don't. I think they can look really pretty. :)


So now I have boxes of near-dupes -- none ever seemed close enough, always too brown or too pink or not purple or mauve enough. I ordered "Vintage Pink" because I thought it might be close? Let's see…

Models Own is a UK-based brand that borders on the line of "indie" -- not a brand made by a woman sitting at a dining room table but not so mainstream that you'd find it at your local Walmart (though there are Models Own shops in the UK). So maybe not a true indie but indie enough that I included it in this month's mani challenge.

Models Own doesn't really give a colour description but it's obviously a neutral, muted brownish-pink creme. The formula & consistency were perfect. No streaking at all! And the polish was nicely self-leveling -- important in getting a good creme finish! I used 2 coats of polish over Seche Clear base and a topcoat of Seche Vite.

I only have a few photos -- no macros because there's nothing really to see up close since it's a standard creme without glitter or holo or other craziness. :)

Under LED desk lamp.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright daylight, no sun.


So what do you think? It's not a dupe for the polish I'm looking for (too dark, *boo*) but it's still really pretty on it's own and I will definitely wear it again. I will also keep searching for the ultimate match to the Molly Ringwald/Breakfast Club polish!

Where to buy Models Own polish? It's probably best to direct you to their website -- they have a lists of international stockists. I can tell you for certain that in North America you can find them at: Llarowe (US-based, ships internationally), Harlow & Co (Canada-based, ships internationally), and Nail Polish Canada (Canada-based, only ships within North America). 

NB: I purchased this polish for myself. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish maker or websites featured in this post. I am doing this just for fun!

Please check out the other Indie August participants for their daily manis!


No comments:

Post a Comment