Thursday, August 14, 2014

August Is Indie Month! Day 14: Polished By KPT - Nightcrawler

The weather today is super cool & windy (17C here in Toronto), feels like fall! I love it!

For Day 14 of the Indie August mani challenge I selected Polished by KPT (or just "KPT") "Nightcrawler". This is my absolute favourite of the thermals so far and while it's not an untried for me, I had to show you!

(Wait! What's "indie August"?? Click here to read up about it!)

NB: I took a LOT of pics of this one so you can see how it looks in different light/temperatures!


More after the jump!
Polished by KPT is a small handmade polish-maker based in San Jose, California. Their polishes are 5-free & cruelty-free (yay!). I stumbled upon the brand when trying to figure out what the heck "thermal" polishes were! Essentially, they are polishes that change colour depending on the temperature (as you will see, this is great fun!). A lot of people say these are the "best" thermal polishes -- but I haven't tried other brands of thermals so I honestly can't tell you. However, they ARE good polishes and you won't be disappointed!


"Nightcrawler" is a 2013 shimmery duochrome thermal polish -- so much going on there! When your fingers get cold (ambient temperature, cold hands, cold water) the polish is a dark blue/purple/red and when your fingers get warm (body heat, ambient temperature, warm water) the polish turns a very sheer blurple (blue/purple)/grey. The whole time it's super shimmery though! Sometimes the warmth of your nail bed sheers out the colour but the ends of your fingernails are cooler so they stay dark. Like I said, great fun!!

The formula was pretty good -- a little thicker than your average polish and it has a jelly-ish consistency. It was very easy to work with and cleanup was a breeze. It took slightly longer than average to dry, but I'm not surprised. For this mani I used Seche Clear as my base coat, 3 layers of polish, and topped with Seche Vite.

Now for some fun!

Under LED desk lamp, no temperature alterations. Just regular room air (with central air on).


Macro of the above (no messing with temperature or anything, under LED light).


To get the cold effect, I ran my fingers under cold water for a few minutes. The colour change happens pretty instantaneously! This pic is indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Same as above but I stepped outside and took a sunny pic before my hands warmed up too much!


As above (cold water on fingers) but in the shade (no direct sun), outside.


Okay, warm water this time!! Indoors, near windows (no direct sun), bright daylight.


Warm water on fingers, outside, direct sun.


Warm water on fingers, outside, in shade (no direct sun).


Cold water on nail tips only. Outside, direct sun.


Cold water on nail tips only. Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Ok, as you can see this is a pretty cool polish! I LOVE wearing it in the winter because as you move in/out of cold and warm areas it will change/shift a lot. I get lots of compliments from people (even the bus driver lady!) when I wear this polish. :)

Where to get KPT polishes (thermals & others)?? There is a KPT website -- but it isn't active (there's a note on the page saying the shop will reopen in late August -- so check back!). There is a list of KPT stockists on that page, but again, it's down so I can't help you there at the moment. You can check out the Polished by KPT Facebook page for polish pics, updates, etc. I can also let you know that Harlow & Co does carry KPT polishes & she ships internationally (that's where I bought mine!).

NB: I purchased this polish for myself. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish maker or websites featured (including distributors). I am doing this just for fun!!

Please check out the other Indie August participants, they have been doing some awesome manis! 




No comments:

Post a Comment