Tuesday, August 12, 2014

August Is Indie Month! Day 12: Mentality - Pilot

Sorry for getting this up late, I had a lot of running around to do today. There's a lot of crazy dramas happening around Julep right now, I'll probably save that for another post (but it's important to share my experience). But today isn't about Julep, it's about Mentality Polish!!

What's the Indie August Mani Challenge?? Click here to find out!

I only recently heard of Mentality polish when Harlow & Co started carrying the brand. I was looking for something new and I decided to get a few of the matte polishes. OMG! They are awesome!! I am featuring "Pilot" today -- but I did a mani with "Gorgeous" several months ago that I have to share one picture of because it's so amazing!

More after the jump!
Mentality polish is created in Southern California by husband & wife team, Danny & Hillary (love when boys are involved!!). They make all kinds of 4-free, cruelty-free polishes -- matte, glossy, holos, you name it! They even have stamping polishes and other nail art polishes. Yay!

Before I get into the awesome perfect blue of "Pilot", I have to show you a picture of "Gorgeous" -- a spectacular and stunning matte burgundy. I get SO many compliments when I wear this one!

Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows (2 coats of polish). This pic was taken in the winter, it's not a recent photo. Pretty though, isn't it?? *swoon* I love it!



OK, onto "Pilot"! No official description but it's a sky blue matte finish with some shimmer. The formula is amazing, super easy to apply & cleanup. I used 2 coats for this mani (Seche Clear for base). No need for a topcoat -- unless you don't dig the matte finish. I used Seche Vite topcoat on the ring finger nail only, so you can see what it looks like glossy.

TIP: When using matte polishes, they are notorious for chipping quickly. I have found that if I use a good base coat (like Orly Bonder) and apply a matte topcoat in-between the layers of polish (not on top!), it helps it last for days. I use the Butter London matte topcoat, I haven't tried others but I'm assuming they're all pretty much the same?

Under LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED light (no topcoat).


Macro under LED light (with Seche Vite topcoat).


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows. Sorry for the slight blur. :/


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).


Direct sun.


Sunny macro of "Pilot" with Seche Vite topcoat.


Sunny macro (no topcoat).


I really love this polish -- matte polishes are fun to me & the colour is very rich & saturated. One of those colours you don't want to take off! The formula was very smooth and easy to work with. Even if you add a glossy topcoat, it's super pretty and has a bit of shimmer. Lovely!

Where to buy Mentality polishes? You can purchase them from Mentality's website (they ship internationally). In North America you can purchase from Harlow & Co (located in Canada but ships internationally). Check Mentality's website for other international distributors

NB: I purchased this polish for myself and have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish maker or websites featured in this post. I am doing this for fun!

Please also check out the other Indie August participants to see what they are doing with their manis!

No comments:

Post a Comment