Monday, August 11, 2014

August Is Indie Month! Day 11: The Hungry Asian - Strawberry

I am sooo excited about today's mani. It's such a beautiful polish! For Day 11 of the Indie August mani challenge I selected The Hungry Asian's "Strawberry" -- and I promise you will love it too! If you follow my blog at all, you know red polish is my absolute favourite -- no idea how this one slipped under my radar for so long because it's incredible!

(what's "Indie August"?? click here to find out more!)


More after the jump!
The Hungry Asian is a California-based brand created by the lovely and talented Kae. Her polishes are handmade, 3-free, cruelty-free, and vegan (yay!). "Strawberry" is described by Kae as a, "red creme polish with sparse black microglitter". In using the polish, I found it to lean more to a jelly formula than a creme. 



I stumbled upon The Hungry Asian's Etsy site (purchase details at the end of the post!) by searching "nail polish". I wasn't sure about the brand since I had never heard of it before (I was super new to indies back then!). I opted to order a few of the super-cute mini bottles to test out before splurging on the full-size bottles. The minis are SO CUTE! Little 5ml heart-shaped bottles with a rhinestone accent on the top of the brush. They are tiny though so if you order them, be aware of the actual size.



As for the polish itself, the formula was amazing!! SOOO easy to work with! And as I mentioned, I found it more of a jelly formula than a straight-up creme. Like 75% jelly and 25% creme? I wouldn't even call it a crelly. Anyway… I used 3 coats of polish for opacity (Seche Clear base coat) and topped it with Seche Vite topcoat. Cleanup was a total breeze -- pretty good for a red polish! The little black specks are so cute! They are subtle though… at first glance it just looks like a pretty red polish, you only see the black specks when you look a bit closer. Perfect! The polish dries super shiny and I was hesitant to put a topcoat on because it didn't seem to need it! I opted for topcoat for longevity purposes. 

If strawberry jam was a nail polish, this would be it!

I don't think I need to say -- I want a full size one!! I can never have enough reds and this one is so pretty that it's an absolute requirement. :)

Pictures now!!

Under LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED lights.

Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).


Outside, direct sun.


Direct sun macro.


Seriously beautiful!! I am in love!! <3

Ok, where to get this?? You can purchase this & other polishes from The Hungry Asian's Etsy shop (she ships internationally!). I do not think she has any distributors at this time. She does ship quickly and wraps the package beautifully so it's like opening a little gift. Love the little touches! :)

NB: I purchased this polish for myself and have NO affiliation with the polish maker featured whatsoever. I am doing this just for fun! <3

Please check out the other Indie August participants to see what they are doing with their manis!

1 comment:

  1. This is a really classic indie! Hungry Asian were some of the first polishes I bought on etsy years ago.

    ReplyDelete