Sunday, August 10, 2014

August Is Indie Month! Day 10: KBShimmer - You Autumn Know

Day 10! yay!
(wait, what's "Indie August"?? click here to find out!)

For my Day 10 mani I chose the brand KBShimmer and the polish, "You Autumn Know". It's more of a fall colour, yes, but it'll be fall soon enough! And yesterday I saw orange leaves on the ground so it'll be here very soon -- so excited!!

More after the jump!
KBShimmer is the brainchild of Christy Rose in Terre Haute, Indiana, USA. Her passion is creating amazing beauty polishes and I believe she has found her niche -- her products are AMAZING!! All her products are 3-free and cruelty-free (yay!). I have only tried her polishes so I cannot attest to her other beauty products -- but I'm hoping to try them someday because I've heard really good things about them. :) 

"You Autumn Know" is described on the KBShimmer website as, "Crunchy leaves in shades of red, burgundy, yellow and brown litter the sidewalks, white flakes of snow slowly cover the autumn shades. You Autumn Know was inspired by that first snow of the year. This soft white crelly polish is loaded with fuchsia, gold, and orange glitters. Micro bars accent the fall pallet of this polish. Best in threecoats, or two coats over white." I couldn't describe it better!

I haven't tried this polish yet, though I did buy it last fall. Why? Because crellies scare the bejesus out of me! They are so finicky to work with, at least for me. I decided to layer this polish over 1 layer of white (Essie's "Marshmallow"). I used 2 coats of "You Autumn Know". I knew it would be bumpy/weird so I used a layer of Nail Pattern Boldness' "Glitter Food" before a final topcoat of Seche Vite. Confusing? Yeah, I thought so, lemme break it down:
  • Two thin layers of "Glitter-A-Peel" by Nail Pattern Boldness (peel-off base coat)
  • One thin layer of Essie's "Marshmallow" polish
  • Two thin layers of KBShimmer's "You Autumn Know" polish 
  • One thin layer of "Glitter Food" by Nail Pattern Boldness (helps "thirsty" glitter polishes and smooths out bumpy ones, dried matte, good under topcoat)
  • One layer of Seche Vite topcoat
Sounds like a lot! But I used thin layers of all of these. For glitter polishes you can't go wrong with "Glitter-A-Peel" (I plan to do a separate review of this shortly). The "Glitter Food" just smooths everything out so you don't need 4 layers of topcoat. It was my first time using it, I really like it!

The formula on "You Autumn Know" was really good for a crelly! I didn't have to fish for glitter. It self-levels fairly well around the chunks of glitter. Dry time was a bit slow, but most crellies are like that, especially those with glitter.

Under LED desk lamp.

Macro under LED light.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).


Outdoors, direct sun.


This is one of those polishes that is hard to capture just how beautiful it is in real life. As I mentioned yesterday, I never really wear chunky glitter polishes -- but I love buying them and thinking about putting them on. Once I put this polish on, I totally didn't want to take it off!! It's surprisingly alluring. :) I can't wait to wear it again once this mani challenge is over!

I have several polishes by KBShimmer and I adore all of them (my favs are the holiday ones!). I strongly urge you to check out her products!!

In the US, you can purchase her products directly from the KBShimmer website (and yes, "You Autumn Know" is in stock!). If you are outside the US, you can purchase KBShimmer polishes from Harlow & Co (based in Canada, ships worldwide)… "You Autumn Know" is sold out at Harlow & Co at the moment, though she may restock with the fall approaching!

NB: I purchased all the products discussed in this post for myself. I have NO affiliation whatsoever with the polish maker or websites discussed. I am doing this just for fun!!

Please check out what the other Indie August participants are doing with their daily manis!!




No comments:

Post a Comment