Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Julep - Flora

I desperately needed to do my nails and wanted something bright (how odd!). I was going through my Julep polishes because I am still a little pouty/sad I skipped July. I DID pick a box for August though! (Polish Lover's Upgrade + Sushmita + Amy [love the colour, want a backup!] + new plum liner).

 Anyway, decided to go with an untried from my April Maven box - Flora.

More after the jump!
When I first saw this colour in the bottle I wasn't so sure it was for me. I mean, it's bright! And kinda pink. I'm more of a dark red/purple/blue/green kinda person, not a hot pink person. But I thought I'd give it a go and I am SO GLAD I did! This is a perfect example of why it's good to step out of your comfort zone every once in a while and try new things. :)

Julep describes Flora as an, "exotic dragonfruit with blue shimmer". What the heck is a "dragonfruit"?? Click here to see pics & read about it. I've had the pleasure of eating dragonfruit before and it is sooo yummy!! But, this polish doesn't look like a dragonfruit to me. Ok, maybe a little. But I would've come up with a better description. It's tricky though because it's purple in some lighting, pink in others. Plus the "blue shimmer" up close is actually blue shards… flakie perhaps? SUPER PRETTY either way! This shade came out in the April 2014 Vivid Collection (It Girl).

The formula was perfect -- seriously, it went on like a dream, perfect consistency and dried quickly (but not too fast!). I used Nailtiques 2 as my base coat (the Duri 2 wasn't doing anything and my nails are peeling at the tips), 2 coats of Flora and one layer of Seche Vite. I had barely any cleanup to do and when I did it was super easy. It's weird because this polish looks like a cream in the bottle but the consistency is more like a jelly -- but not sheer like a true jelly. I dunno, it's different from the usual Julep polishes -- I like it though!

Here we go … chameleon polish!

Under LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED light.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).


Direct sunlight.


Sunny macro.


Overall, I am very, very impressed with this polish! I like the formula, it's perfect (for reals), I love how the shade shifts between purple and hot pink depending on the light, I like the blue flakey shards (subtle but when the light catches it, it's so pretty!). I wouldn't even call this a shimmer polish, not sure why they did. It's not really a glitter either though. More like a pinky-purple jelly with blue flakie shards. Hard to describe that! But I do love it and will absolutely wear it again. It's an awesome colour for summer!

Reading the reviews of this colour on the Julep site are kinda weird… people complain it dries matte -- it does not dry like a true matte, it's just not glassy. If you want glassy, apply a topcoat!! You should anyway to protect your manicure. I NEVER EVER do a manicure without a base & topcoat. People complained it was thin and they needed 3+ coats for opacity. I used 2 coats in the above pictures and it's totally opaque. They also complained about dry time, I found mine dried quickly. As for the "glitter", it's not a glitter polish so why would you expect a crazy glitter polish?? It's a subtle shimmer but it's there -- not in all lighting, true, but that's what makes it cool (in my opinion). I dunno, it was weird reading the reviews since I think this is one of their better polishes. I'm writing this review on Day 2 of this manicure and I have NO chipping and NO wear. I've made meals, showered, typing, etc and no issues with this polish. Maybe it's my topcoat? Like I said, if you don't wear a topcoat and expect ANY brand of polish to last more than a few hours, you are crazy. 

I purchased this polish for myself. I just checked the Julep website and unfortunately, Flora is out of stock. *boo* It's not on the retired list though so maybe she will be restocked? You can always put her on your wishlist and check in once in a while to see if she's quietly restocked. I do this and manage to get some retired polishes (last week I got "Elle" which was on the retired list but is now back in stock -- I never would have noticed if she wasn't on my wishlist!). You can also check sale/swap boards on Facebook and other sites or store sites like eBay, StoreEnvy, and Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my recent favourites too! I didn't have any issues with the application of mine either. I think most of the time people just LOOK for something to complain about. It's frustrating to not get an honest review of things just because people want to whine about something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually really impressed with this shade! I was shocked to see so many people complaining about it! The weirdest one was how many people said it took more than 3 coats to get opacity… I'm a stickler for visible nail line so opacity is a big deal to me -- but I only needed 2 coats! And it applied beautifully. Not sure what they're talking about! But I love how it seems to change colours from purple to hot pink, and the blue flakie shards give it a little something extra. I didn't think I'd ever try this one but I'm sooo glad I did! I don't want to take it off! :)

      Delete