Friday, June 20, 2014

June is Julep Month! Julep's Entire Three Wishes Collection Reviewed & Swatched in full!

Wow. Okay. First of all, this entry is VERY picture-heavy. For reals. But it's worth it, trust me!

Second, this is my all-time favourite Julep collection EVER! Seriously, if Julep was to create a collection just for me, this would be it. I love every single colour. This collection is so "me", it's not even funny. I am in absolute love!!! <3

I want to eat these! They are THAT pretty! <3

Julep calls this the "Three Wishes" collection but it reminds me of fairy tales, princesses, castles, and all things sparkly and girly. I wonder if you will agree??

If so… follow along…

MUCH more after the jump!!
When I first saw this collection I was soooo excited! I immediately selected Polish Lover's Upgrade and picked 3 add-ons: Katerina (a special topcoat, you will meet her soon!), the Time Machine Kit (I reviewed this here), and the Oxygen topcoat & base coat duo (I talked about them in this post). As a bonus for purchasing 3 add-ons, Julep sent "Marjorie" & "Veronica" for free! I am not swatching them today though, just the main 10 new shades.






I'm kind of upset about how Julep shipping is. And I need to talk about that here. As much as I LOVE Julep & their products, their shipping is atrocious. I made my selections for these items on May 20th. The Maven window doesn't close until the 24th. Fair enough. They do billing on May 27th & start shipping out packages that day. HOWEVER, the bigger boxes (i.e. those with more polishes, upgrades, lots of add-ons) get shipped last, as in a week later, because they are more complicated to piece together. While logically that makes sense, from a business standpoint it sucks because you are punishing your "big spenders" by sending their packages way after those who are taking the smallest box to maintain their subscription. Anyway, my box wasn't sent until June 3, a full week after billing. And then it sits in a warehouse for a week before being sent out to Canada.
Now, you could argue that Canada Customs holds items for an indefinite amount of time. This is BS. If you watch tracking carefully, they release packages in a few hours, a day at MOST. They also do not have the space, time, staff to hold packages. They deal with thousands upon thousands of items a day and are seriously not concerned with a box of nail polish from an established company. Once it crosses into Canada I get it in about 5 business days. 
Julep USED TO ship all their Maven boxes from New Jersey and I'd get my boxes way faster. Since moving everything to their West Coast warehouses my orders (both Maven box and regular orders) take 2-5 weeks. Yep, I had the odd order take over 4 weeks to get to me. Ridiculous.

Yes, it is free shipping. But you know what? I have paid for "expedited" shipping before and it didn't really make much of a difference (maybe shaved 3 days off the 3 weeks). It still sat in their warehouse not moving for over a week. So what's the point? I would GLADLY pay for shipping if it meant I'd get my stuff faster!!

Okay, rant over. Point is, I got my Maven box on June 17th. There HAS TO BE room for improvement here, no?

Oh hey, swatches! I couldn't resist making these right after I got my box!


Okay, onto the polishes!!

There are 3 dreamy buttery shimmers: Bergen, Colette, and Savoy. There are 2 stunning chromes: Natalia & Ariana. There are 3 delicate iridescent ones: Sera, Harlow, & Phia. A stardust: Jennine. And, not to be missed, a fancy topcoat: Katerina.

Let's start with the gorgeous Ariana!
Julep describes her as an, "enchanted berry iridescent chrome". She is in the Classic With A Twist group.



Under LED desk lamp.

Macro under LED light.

Indoors, cloudy daylight (no sun), near windows.


Outdoors, cloudy (no direct sun).


Cloudy day. *boo*


Next up, Bergen! I am such a sucker for blue-grey polishes and this one is dreamy, creamy & buttery.
Julep describes her as a, "hazy blue shimmer" & she is in the Classic With A Twist group.


Under LED desk lamp.

 Macro under LED light.


Indoors, cloudy daylight (no sun) near windows.


Outside, cloudy daylight (no sun).



Up next is Colette, another beautiful buttery shimmer…
Julep describes Colette as a, "poetic violet shimmer" & she is in the Bombshell group.


Under LED desk lamp.

Macro under LED desk lamp.

Indoors, cloudy daylight (no sun), near windows.


Outdoors, cloudy daylight (no direct sun).


Sun is trying to peek through clouds!



Up next is Harlow…
Julep describes Harlow as a, "golden dragonfly iridescent chrome" & she is in the Boho Glam group. Think extra sparkly golden green goodness!


Under LED desk lamp.

Macro under LED desk lamp.

Indoors, bright daylight, near windows. Sorry, I didn't realize it was blurry until I was editing the photos!


Outdoors, bright daylight.

Direct sun.


Up next is Jennine… she reminds me of mermaids and sea glass and beautiful sparkly sand…
Julep describes her as a, "full coverage borealis blue stardust (matte glitter)" and she belongs to the It Girl group.
NOTE: Because I'm a weird texture-sensitive person and cannot tolerate the feel of scratchy polishes, I put one layer of the new Oxygen Performance topcoat over Jennine -- therefore she is shinier than what you'd get in real life. Well, unless you put a topcoat on her too. ;)


Under LED desk lamp.

Macro under LED desk lamp.

Indoors, bright daylight, near windows.

Just a blurry macro so you can see how sparkly it is!


Outside, in the shade. Well, as shady as I could get!


The next few pics are in the sun. I blurred them a bit so you could see the full glitter effect. It's SO SPARKLY!!! :)



Katerina is this crazy beautiful topcoat… looks white but is more like iridescent/pink flakies.
Julep describes her as a, "pixie multidimensional iridescent topcoat". Julep never calls them flakies, not ever. It's like how they refuse to call sheer polishes jellies. She was an add-on polish and is in the It Girl group. 
She reminds me SO MUCH of Enchanted Polish's "Secret Sauce" (I will compare the 2 below).


Enchanted Polish Secret Sauce on the left, Julep's Katerina on the right. Secret Sauce has teeny tiny orangey reflective particles whereas Katerina has larger flakie-ish bright pink bits. So hard to capture on camera but I did my best!



Katerina over Colette, under LED light. It looks weird in this light to me.


Blurry macro for fun because it's pretty!


Indoors, kinda cloudy, near windows.


Outdoors, cloudy day.



Up next is Natalia… 
Julep describes her as a, "refined copper metallic" & she is in the Boho Glam group. I really love this one! I usually can't wear coppery polishes because they are too warm/orange but this one has a tinge of pink that makes it really special. :)


Under LED desk lamp.

Macro under LED lamp.

Bright daylight, indoors near windows.


Outside, bright daylight.

Sunshine!


Almost there! Hang with me!

This is Phia, the most delicate of the group I would say…
Julep describes her as an, "alluring orchid iridescent chrome" & she falls into the It Girl group.


Not my favourite swatches. I used 3 coats when I should've kept it at 2 so it looks a little wonky. I'd like to redo this mani!
Under LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED lamp.

Cloudy daylight, indoors near windows.


Outside, cloudy day.


Oh delicate little Savoy!
Julep describes her as an, "antique gold chrome", but I think she is richer and creamier… almost like a buttery platinum. Beautiful! I usually can't wear gold for the same reason I can't wear copper, too warm. But this shade is lovely and would look good on anyone. It would really be stunning on darker skin tones though.
Oh, and Savoy is an It Girl. ;)


Under LED desk lamp.
NOTE: bubbles were from the topcoat, not the polish!!


Macro under LED desk lamp.

Indoors, bright daylight, near windows.


Outdoors, bright daylight.


In the sun! :O


And finally, last but absolutely not least, is Sera!
Julep describes her as a, "celestial fog iridescent chrome" & she is in the Bombshell group. She looks similar to Phia at first glance but Phia is more purple and Sera is more grey with a tinge of purple.


Under LED desk lamp.

Macro under LED light.

Indoors, bright daylight, near windows.


Outside, bright daylight.



 WOW!
Thank you for toughing it out! I know it was a long entry but I wanted you to see how stunning these polishes are! I know some people are die-hard brights/neon polish people, others love nail art, but for me it's the delicate, fairy-like polishes that shimmer and glow. So yes, this collection was really made for me!

As for particulars, most of them I used 2 coats (except Phia I used 3 and that was too much I think). I used topcoat on all of them. I don't have a favourite yet. I DEFINITELY need backups of them all but totally can't afford it (Julep?? *big blinking kitten eyes*). The formula on all of them was amazing and I had no issues with consistency at all. Dry time was a bit longer with the iridecents (Phia, Sera and Harlow) but not significantly so. They were all super easy to take off -- though be warned, I had some slightly blue nails after wearing Jennine!! I used Julep's Vanish drops to get it off but if you're crazy paranoid about that maybe use a double coat of base? It wasn't a full-blown Smurf situation but they were definitely blue-tinged. SO worth it though, Jennine is insanely beautiful!!

I purchased all these polishes for myself. I just checked and all of them are available and in stock on the Julep website. :)

Oh, and for the record, I have NO affiliation with Julep whatsoever. I do this because it's fun!
And the background I used for the bottle photos is from the "The Once Upon A Time Stack" card stock by DCWV. I purchased it from Michaels about a year ago.

So yeah, there it is, the full Three Wishes June 2014 collection. I'm going to go make dinner now and rest, my hands kinda hurt!

Up tomorrow is the regular daily mani challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment