Monday, June 09, 2014

June is Julep Month! Day 9: Greta & Love

This month is zipping by! I love June -- no humidity, warm days, cool nights. Kinda like fall in reverse. :) I absolutely abhor summer. I don't get along well with the sun. I burn quickly and get really sick. Almost like I have a sun allergy. For reals, I don't go out in the summer unless I absolutely have to. Even then, I drown myself in SPF 110, wear hats, and hunker in the shade. Not my thing.

Anyway, today's colour is "chrome pink". I have THE perfect colour -- unfortunately I already used it for my Valentine's Day mani so I can't use it today. It was "Aphrodite" and is the prettiest chrome pink ever! I got her in one of the 3 Valentine's Mystery Boxes (I bought all 3 and then got mad because even though they said there wouldn't be product/polish overlap, there was! It seems like they're getting better at this though). Anyway, I don't have another Julep chrome pink so I had to go with something kinda chrome-y. And pink? Not sure really. Kinda fuschia-purple. She is called "Greta". I did an accent nail with "Love". Not sure how well it turned out, what do you think??

Oh, and if you wanna know more about my Month of Julep challenge, click here.

More after the jump!
Julep describes Greta as a, "Loganberry multidimensional microglitter". She was released in February 2014 with the "Dramatic" Collection. I know a lot of people were kinda peeved because the promotional photos Julep used for this colour made her appear MUCH brighter/pinker, almost a hot pink… but then she shows up looking darker. A lot of hate for Greta flew around. It's a shame though because Julep's studio photos/photoshop aside, it really is a nice polish colour!!

Love was sent out as a free gift in the February 2014 Maven boxes (the "Dramatic" collection) as a free gift from Julep founder Jane Park. She is described by Julep as a, "full-coverage gold, pearl, and fuchsia microglitter". It's a weird one, people either really love it or really hate it.

The formula on Greta was not what I expected. It was a fantastic consistency but was a pretty sheer jelly-ish formula (I thought it would be a more opaque polish). I used 3 coats of Greta and could still see the nail line. Next time I'll do a layer of a similar colour as a base. It also dried slow as most jelly polishes do. I'm impatient. :/

The formula on Love was awesome. It was very opaque. I layered her over 2 coats of Greta but that wasn't necessary, she would've been fine on her own.

In sum: one layer of base coat, 3 layers of Greta (2 on ring finger), one layer of Love on ring finger, and one layer of Freedom Polymer topcoat.

Under LED desk lamp.

Macro of Greta under LED desk lamp.

Macro of Love under LED desk lamp.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.

Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).



Direct sun.

Overall, I really like Greta! Love is pretty but I don't like it layered over Greta. I think I could do it on bare nail or even a whole mani of just Love alone. And as mentioned, I think next time I would use an undie under Greta as I don't like lots of layers of polish.

I purchased these polishes myself. I just checked the Julep site and Greta is available and in stock. Love is not available separately at the moment but is part of a duo (with "Hope"), under their Wedding section I believe.

NB: I am doing this Month of Julep completely independently. I have NO affiliation with Julep whatsoever! This is just for fun!

Looking forward to tomorrow, my favourite colour!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment