Sunday, June 08, 2014

June is Julep Month! Day 8: Hailee

Today's Julep challenge colour is "dark green". I had several to choose from but I didn't want to go with the super/almost black ones. I feel like I've been doing a lot of those on other days and wanted something different. I almost went with "Emerald City" from the Wizard of Oz collection but that didn't seem right for a "dark green". Since today is kind of overcast/rainy/blah I picked "Hailee".

Click here for more info on my Month of Julep challenge.

More after the jump!
Julep describes Hailee as a, "khaki green suede". The allure of this polish was that it has a matte finish. I don't own the Julep Matte topcoat (it's sold out on their website *boo*) so this may have been my only chance during the Julep month to wear a matte mani (which I really like). This polish was released in November 2012 with their other suede-finish polishes. 

As this is an older polish, the brush is the round/skinny one (not a fan). The formula was awesome though it did dry really fast so you have to work quickly. I used 2 coats of polish for this mani. Julep says you don't need a base coat when you use their suede finish polishes but to me that's like going out without underwear on, which (to me) is creepy. So I used a base coat (the Julep Nail Therapy one). Plus, I like protecting my nails against staining. You don't use a topcoat with these polishes (except maybe a matte one) because you will lose the finish. Some polishes that are meant to be matte are really pretty with a glossy topcoat. I put one layer of Freedom Polymer topcoat on my ring finger so you can see how it looks with a glossy finish.

Tips for helping matte manis last longer: Use a base coat. Also, use a matte topcoat in-between the layers. Sounds weird, but trust me, it works! And don't use a topcoat. I can get matte manis to last a week doing this. The only matte topcoat I have at the moment is the one by Butter London. Hopefully Julep will restock theirs and I can give it a try. I've heard good things about it.

Under my LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED light.


Macro of polish + Freedom topcoat, under LED light.


Indoors, cloudy daylight, near windows.


Outside, cloudy daylight. 



I couldn't get any sunlight pics, rainy/cloudy today. If it's sunny tomorrow morning, I'll try to get a sunny pic before I change my mani.

Update: Sun came out last night briefly before setting so I took this pic! Beautiful!

I really like this polish. I have several of Julep's suede-finish polishes that I haven't tried and I'm eager to try them now! I'm also hoping they restock their matte topcoat soon!
This shade is perfect for the weather today. I can see this being a regular fall colour -- either left as-is or adding a glossy topcoat like Freedom.

I purchased this polish myself (during the warehouse sale after the holidays, I think). I just checked the Julep website and Hailee is available and in stock.

NB: I am doing this Month of Julep totally independently. I have NO affiliation with Julep whatsoever. I am doing this for fun!

Tomorrow promises to be beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment