Friday, June 06, 2014

June is Julep Month! Day 6: Fiore

I can't believe the first week is almost over! It went by quickly. I'm *finally* starting to feel like myself again, the antibiotics must be working! No pain! Hurray! :)

So Day 6 of my Month of Julep is "brown". Oddly, I have several brown Julep shades -- more than I realized until I grouped them together. My favourite is Chloe -- but I already used her last fall & this challenge demands "untrieds". I almost went with my most-loathed one, Rooney, but I couldn't bring myself to do it (sorry Julep!). I thought I had Olivia which I would have done but when I looked I don't actually have her. *sad face* I ended up going with Fiore.

(for those of you who don't know, I'm doing an entire month of using just Julep nail products & colours, you can read about my plans and my "rules" HERE.)


More after the jump!
I'm noticing my cuticles are starting to take a beating from the daily manis. I'm going to oil/moisturize them a bit extra today and maybe do a Julep Nail Moisture Mask tomorrow (with a full review/pics!). They need some lovin'! That's one key to having a nice mani and pretty nails -- keep those cuticles clean and moisturized. A little effort goes a LONG way. Pretty hands take work!

Ok, onto the polish!

Julep describes Fiore as an, "espresso brown crème". Hence why I am holding a Nespresso Vivalto cube in the photo above! ;) (I LOVE my Nespresso machine, don't want to get me started on that!).
It's kind of a smokey brown, if that makes sense. You'll see in the photos there is a foggy greyness to the brown. I like it, it's different. To be fair, I am NOT a brown polish person at all. But I included "brown" in this challenge because I'm trying to branch out and do things I normally wouldn't do. Growth! I like this particular one because it borders on black. But really, brown is not my thing. I don't wear warm colours of anything. I don't own brown makeup (nope, no eyeshadow, liner, or mascara), nor do I own any brown clothing. It's just not me. I'm not the "earthy" type and I don't like minimalist styling. I'm weird like that. But hey, everyone is different!

Where did this come from? Well, collection-wise it came out in August 2013, the "Garden Party" collection (It Girl). Where did I get it personally? I bought it at some point, maybe as part of a set or in a Mystery Box. I wasn't a Maven yet and this wasn't a gift.

The formula was awesome! Super easy to apply and clean up. It dries to a nice shiny finish. For this mani I used one layer of base coat (Julep's Nail Therapy one), 2 coats of Fiore, and one thin coat of Freedom Polymer topcoat. Just before the topcoat I cleaned around the cuticles with pure acetone and a small brush and applied Julep's Mighty Cuticle serum. 

Under my LED desk lamp. Notice how it looks a bit greyish? You won't see that in other lighting! :)


Bright indoor lighting, near windows (no direct sun).


Bright outdoor daylight, no direct sun.


Outdoors, shade.



I didn't take any photos in the sun (it's on the other side of my building at the moment). I'm not sure this polish would look much different in the sun. I'll take a peek this afternoon and maybe take a sun picture.

Overall, I really like this colour. Not really a summer shade, but it did come out last August (weird). I can see wearing it a lot in the fall. I think it would also look good as a polkadot mani (similar to what I did yesterday). It's a pretty colour and is conservative enough -- dark but not with the OMG! you get with black polish.

I purchased this polish myself. I just checked the Julep website and darling Fiore is presently available and in stock on the Julep website.

NB: I am doing this Month of Julep challenge totally independently. I am NOT affiliated with Julep whatsoever. This is just for fun!

What's up tomorrow?? Come back and see! It will be worth it, I promise! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment