Tuesday, June 03, 2014

June is Julep Month! Day 3: Tatum

This challenge is proving to be more fun than I expected!

What's this Julep Challenge all about??? Click here!

I'm falling in love with the Julep non-acetone polish remover (despite the smell), it works SO WELL and fast! It also doesn't dry out my nails at all, which is really surprising! I want more! I just wish that (a) it was in stock on their site, (b) the refills came in bigger bottles, and (c ) in an alternate universe the smell wouldn't bug me.

Today's colour is… chartreuse! What the heck is "chartreuse"?? It's just a fancy name for a yellowish green. It's a tricky polish colour to pull off because… well… it can easily lean too yellow and just look … sick. It's also not a popular colour, which is why it's good for a polish challenge. It kinda forces you to try a colour you wouldn't normally wear. :) I HAVE used a chartreuse before ("Panacea" by Cirque, a holo chartreuse) so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with this shade. And if they get the colour balance right, it can totally rock!

So what shades of Julep are chartreuse?? I dug through the greens I have and I was soooo excited to try… Tatum!!


Sooo much more after the jump!
Did my nails turn blue from Lacey?? Do I still feel weird about Freedom topcoat??
How do you wear such a crazy green?
Find out… ;)

(oh, and lots of pictures, sorry!)
So I was kinda worried after wearing Lacey yesterday that my nails would be Smurf blue. This sometimes happens with blue nail polish (regardless of brand and whether you wear a base coat or not). I was ready for a major nail scrub-down. Instead, the Julep non-acetone polish remover took it right off! I did have some very mild staining/residue left around my cuticles and at the edges of my nails (as you can see below, on my thumbnail). Macro taken under LED light.



Fortunately, my trusty Julep Vanish cuticle softener/remover is also a stain/polish residue fighter! So I applied a drop, used the Julep cuticle pusher to gently work around the edges of my nail and viola! Blue is gone! :) You don't have to scrub or do anything harsh. You don't need to soak your nails in Vanish, it works *instantly*.


Okay, now that my nails are ready to go… onto the polish!

Julep describes Tatum as a, "neon chartreuse chrome" (not your average chartreuse!). I received her as part of April 2014's "Vivid" collection. The formula was perfect with minimal streaking - though with any chrome polish you're going to see brush strokes no matter what you do, it's just the beast in the beauty! I used 2 coats of Tatum in these photos. I finished by cleaning up the edges with pure acetone and a small brush then topped my mani with one coat of Julep's Freedom Polymer topcoat (more on this in a minute!!) and treated my cuticles with Julep's Mighty cuticle serum.

How am I feeling about Freedom topcoat on Day 3? I think I figured out what my problem was the past few days! Normally I like a nice thick glassy coat of topcoat so I lay it on heavy. Well, today I applied it thinly and that makes ALL the difference!! It dries much faster and shinier and doesn't dull the shimmer. So yeah, go easy on the Freedom and you will be rewarded!


Under my LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED desk lamp.

Indoors, bright daylight, near windows (no direct sun). I like how these kinds of polishes almost look molten in certain lighting!


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).



Under kitchen halogen lights.


Under the crazy halogen lights in my hallway.


Outside, direct sunlight.


Direct sunlight Macro. Sorry about the shadow at the bottom, because of the angle of the sun and where I was standing, it was hard to not get a sun flare or a camera shadow. :/
It's still pretty though, the gold shimmer and little rainbow sparks. <3


Those of you who know me will know that I am NOT a neon person AT ALL. Yes, I grew up in the 80's but I think neon should stay in the 80's! That being said, I'm crazy about this colour! I don't really see it as "neon" but just a bright shimmery foil-like green. It reminds me of those almost-iridescent flower petals. It's really quite stunning and unique. I'm glad to be wearing it! It's sooo perfect for spring/summer! And it's a shade I think would look nice on a lot of different skin tones.

I purchased this from Julep. I just checked and Tatum is in stock on the Julep website.

NB: I am doing this Month of Julep independently and for fun. I have NO affiliation with Julep whatsoever.

What will tomorrow's shade be?? Stay tuned!! It's a good one!

2 comments:

  1. I just got a bottle of Sally Hansen X-Treme Wear in Ivy League, and I suspect it looks similar to Tatum. Have you tried Ivy League? Do I need both? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have Ivy League but looking at online swatches they do look really similar. I wouldn't think you need both unless you REALLY love the colour!

      Delete