Sunday, June 29, 2014

June is Julep Month! Day 29: Ellie & Brenda

HAPPY PRIDE DAY!!!

Toronto is all kinds of crazy today as we celebrate World Pride Day! Unfortunately, over the last week I had 3 migraines and sun hives so I need to stay indoors and miss the parade. *boo* But I can't risk it, I would just get sick and have to come home. So I'm celebrating from afar!

And Day 29! Already?! Only one more manicure left in the Julep mani challenge. It's bittersweet. I'm looking forward to using other polish brands that I miss (no offence to Julep, obviously!) but I've had so much fun over the past month! I will do a followup post and talk about how this month was. Come look for it in the next day or so!

Day 29 is "pearl" and though I own a few Julep pearls (Isla & Ellie, for example), I am surprised I have never tried Ellie!! I wanted to do an accent nail so I chose Brenda. :)


More after the jump!
Julep describes Ellie as a, "seashell pink with holographic shimmer". I can see the seashell but no holo shimmer. More like a pink/lavender/green duochrome. She was released in May 2012 (American Beauty). Brenda is described by Julep as a, "blizzard white microglitter". Again, it's not the best descriptor (I will explain more and show bottle shots later). Brenda looks white-gold in the bottle but at certain angles and under certain light, the glitter shifts from white-gold to purple. It's really quite pretty! Brenda was one of the feature polishes (with Aviva) in the Naughty & Nice Mystery Box in December 2013 (Classic With A Twist).

Unlike other posts, I'm going to show macro shots of the polish in the bottle so you can see the shift/glitter/etc.

This is a macro of Brenda in the bottle (under LED light). See the purple? In the picture above you can't really see it. It's only visible in certain light & at certain angles. The main colour is the white-gold.


This is a macro of Ellie in the bottle (under LED light). You can see the pink and the green. So pretty!


The formula and consistency on both colours was perfect, zero complaints there. But both are super sheer. I used FOUR coats of Ellie in these photos & you can still see the nail line! Next time I use Ellie, she's getting white undies!!
I used 2 coats of Brenda over 2 coats of Ellie on the ring finger only.

I know there are bubbles but it's SUPER humid here and it couldn't really be helped. :(
(I always get bubbles in my polish when it's hot/humid out)

I did my usual mani prep (I even have a fresh refill of Julep's acetone-free polish remover! yay! I love this stuff!), used the glycolic hand scrub and Rock Star hand cream, used Vanish Cuticle remover/softener & the Julep cuticle pusher, applied Julep's cuticle oil (the little rollerball one, smells so good!). I buff off the oil on my nail with paper towel but I do NOT use alcohol or polish remover before applying the base coat -- I know everyone says you should but I find this dries out my nails and causes the polish the chip faster. 
I used one coat of the new Oxygen Smoothing base coat (love this stuff!) and applied the polish, cleaned up with a teensy bit of acetone and a small brush, topped my nails with Oxygen Performance topcoat (love this also!! so shiny!) and applied a touch of Julep's Mighty Cuticle serum. Voila!

Under LED desk lamp.


Macro of Ellie under LED light (damn bubbles!)


Macro of Brenda over Ellie under LED light (see the purple?!)


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outdoors, bright daylight (no direct sun).


Again, bright daylight (no direct sun).


I got a quick peek of sun right before the clouds rolled in! It's supposed to rain this afternoon!


Ellie is such a fun polish!! At first it just looks like a boring pearl polish but once it's on your nails and it's all shifty pink/purple/green, it looks almost liquid or molten! Unfortunately, I couldn't capture the green shift in photos. My ONLY complaint is the sheerness but that can easily be solved with a white or matching undie (a crème polish you put on your nail first then layer the sheer one over so it doesn't look so sheer). Brenda looks pretty cool depending on the light. I think this mani would look awesome with Brenda over all the nails! Can you tell I had fun with this one? Haha. I keep looking at my nails and tilting my hand to catch the shift. That's a sign I'm in love. <3 Another polish I need a backup of!

I purchased these polishes & products myself. I just checked the Julep website and both Ellie & Brenda are unavailable. *sad face* They are not on the "retired" list either so I'm not sure what that means. Maybe they'll come back?? *hopeful* In the meantime, if you're eager for these guys, you can try sale/swap pages on Facebook & other sites. Or store sites like Amazon, StoreEnvy and eBay.

NB: I am doing this Month of Julep entirely independently!! I have NO affiliation with Julep whatsoever. I am doing this just for fun!

Oh, so sad. Tomorrow is the last June is Julep Month mani!! It's a good one, I promise. :) And it's not like I'm never going to show you any Julep manis ever again. I love Julep!! (obviously!) Plus, as an extra treat, I'm going to do a super photo-heavy post with ALL my Julep manis EVER: all the manis from this month + all the ones I have done since becoming a Maven last fall! We're not done yet! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment