Saturday, June 28, 2014

June is Julep Month! Day 28: Karen & Adele

Wow! I'm still shocked it's already the end of June! After today there are only 2 manis left in the Julep Month mani challenge. It went by so fast!
What is Julep Month?? Click here for the details!

Day 28 is "peach/coral". This one was a bit tricky for me. Because I'm super pale, these warmer shades don't look good on me. I buy them because they're pretty but then they sit there because I can't pull off the shade. I ended up choosing "Karen" with a glitter accent nail of "Adele".

More after the jump!
Julep describes Karen as a, "peach bellini frost" -- which is a perfect description! She was released in the July 2013 California Coast Collection (Boho Glam). Adele is described by Julep as a, "gold reflective topcoat" -- though I think that description doesn't really capture what Adele is. She sparks bits of blue and gold, so pretty!! She was released also in the July 2013 California Coast Collection (Bombshell).


The formula and consistency on both polishes was good, no complaints. Karen was a bit sheer but I used 2 coats for these photos and it seems fine. I think 3 coats would have been too thick (but that's just my weird preference). I put 2 coats of Adele over 1 coat of Karen on the ring finger only. I used Julep's Oxygen Smoothing base coat underneath. I cleaned up a teensy bit with acetone and a small brush then applied Julep's Oxygen Performance topcoat and a touch of Julep's Mighty cuticle serum. 

(and yay! the swelling and rashes are starting to clear a bit! no more sun for me!)

Under LED light.

Macro of Karen under LED light.


Adele over Karen under LED light.


Indoors, bright daylight, no direct sun, near windows.


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).


Direct sun, outdoors.


Macro of Karen in direct sun.


Macro of Adele over Karen in direct sun.


Intentional blurring in direct sun so you can see how Adele sparkles! :)


Overall, I LOVELOVELOVE this colour!! For the longest time I just assumed it was another boring orange that would look bad on me or fall flat. One of those polishes that seemed to show up in a lot of random boxes from Julep and I was getting annoyed. I'm pretty sure all the long-time Julep Mavens have a bottle of Karen kicking around. But holy crap! I didn't realize how beautiful it is!! It's a gorgeous shimmery shade that pale girls can wear! I didn't think there would ever be a peach or orangey colour I would be able to wear but this one is like pale peach satin, it's so elegant and flattering! I think just about anyone could wear this colour. It's so understated, it's easy to push aside for a crazier colour -- but don't give up on Karen!

And Adele! What a surprise she turned out to be also! I sooo wish photos could capture what she looks like in real life. It's almost like a scattered holographic microshimmer, if that makes any sense at all! But little sparks of blue and gold and orange (do I see pink too??). Stunning!

I never would have picked these colours for myself and chances are, they would have sat in my untrieds pile forever & ever. If I didn't pick them, where did they come from? Most likely Mystery Boxes or add-ons (I can't remember exactly when/where).

I did purchase these polishes & products for myself. I just checked the Julep website and unfortunately BOTH Karen and Adele are retired & out of stock. Boo. :( But as I've mentioned in previous posts, the retired polishes are sometimes brought back in limited runs so add them to your wish list and keep an eye out! They could also be found on sale/swap pages on Facebook or other sites. You could also try store sites like Amazon, StoreEnvy or eBay.

NB: I am doing this Month of Julep entirely independently. I have NO affiliation with Julep whatsoever! This is just for fun!

Wow, only 2 more days left in Julep month! I will also end things with a post about my experiences & wishes. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Karen! Her head is going to get so big now that she has a whole blog post dedicated to her.

    (PS nice swatches :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although Karen might now have some beef with Adele since she kinda steels the sparkly spotlight. And yes, yes I did just reply to myself!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I figured I should use Karen since she was kinda like the America of boxes for a while -- such hatred! I assumed I would hate her too but alas! I love her!

      Delete