Friday, June 27, 2014

June is Julep Month! Day 27: Rebel

Almost at the end of Julep month! Wow!

I had another migraine today (I really cannot tolerate the sun whatsoever, I get hives and stuff, even with sunscreen, it's gross), so another late post. The final 3 manis will be posted earlier -- along with my final, summary post. :)

Day 27 in the Julep Month mani challenge is "holo" (as in holographic). For those of you who don't know, a holographic polish is one that has either a "scattered" holographic shimmer -- it reminds me of old-school fuzzy tv images or "linear" holographic shimmer where it looks like there is a rainbow arc or line down your nail. These look different in different lighting. Under regular light you almost can't see the holo effect -- but in sunlight or under halogen lights, it's absolutely stunning! I will do a blog post soon talking more about holo polishes.

Julep only has a few holographic polishes (I only have 2 of the 3 they have made & both of mine are silver). I went with "Rebel".

Crazy late to the party but want to know what the Julep Month thing is all about? Click here!

More after the jump!
(NB: Sorry about my swollen hands/fingers, it's also a reaction to the sun, so they look a bit weird, nothing I could really do about it :/ )

I only have a mini bottle of Rebel, I need a full-size one! :)
Julep describes Rebel as a, "silver holographic". She was released in February 2013 in the Get On The A List Collection (It Girl). As far as I am aware, Julep released another holographic polish in the same collection called Ginger (sand holographic) and another silver holographic polish called Tin Man with the Wizard of Oz collection. I wish they had more!!!


The formula and consistency were awesome. Holo polishes usually are (I have a lot of them by other makers). It was a bit too sheer for one coat but two coats was perfect. Because I have a mini bottle the brush was a bit wonky (I think the silver agitation ball smushed against it or something) -- but it was totally still usable. I used the new Julep Oxygen Smoothing base coat (totally love this stuff!!), 2 layers of Rebel, cleaned up very minimally with acetone and a small brush, applied one coat of the new Julep Oxygen Performance top coat (I LOVE this -- so glassy and strong!). I finished up with a touch of Julep's Mighty Cuticle serum (gotta moisturize!).

Under LED desk lamp.

Macro under LED desk lamp.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outdoors, shade.


Outside, direct sun (next few pics).



Sunny macro.





Under kitchen halogen lights.


Macro under halogen lights.


Macro under halogen lights.


I totally love this polish! It's not a super strong holo (some holo polishes have a very strong rainbow arc, others are softer, more scattered) but it's pretty! Even under lighting where you can't see the crazy rainbows, the soft silver/platinum shade is lovely. :) I absolutely need a full-size bottle of this!

Oh, and I wish Julep would do a whole month of holo polishes!!

I purchased this polish & related products myself. I just checked the Julep website and I am very sad to say, this polish is not available. *boo* It's not even on the retired list. The next closest thing, if you're eager to try one of their silver holos is "Tin Man" in the Wizard of Oz collection (I have this, all the polishes are awesome! The packaging is really nice too!) -- which IS available & in stock. Otherwise, if you're desperate for Rebel, try sale/swap pages on Facebook or other sites. You can also check Amazon, StoreEnvy or eBay. 

NB: I am doing this Month of Julep entirely independently. I have NO affiliation with Julep whatsoever. I am just doing this for fun. :)

I promise to get the next few days of Julep Month up earlier!

No comments:

Post a Comment