Wednesday, June 25, 2014

June is Julep Month! Day 24: Leila & Andrea

Soooo sorry for not posting yesterday! I had a severe migraine and wasn't capable of much. I am making it up today though and posting both Day 24 and Day 25. :)

Day 24 is "yellow", not my most favourite polish colour. Us pasty pale ladies have a hard time wearing the warm colours. But I did have a few in my untried Julep stash. I settled on "Leila".

What the heck is a Month of Julep challenge?? Click here!

More after the jump!
Julep describes Leila as a, "lemon yellow opalescent shimmer". Unfortunately it's hard to see the shimmer in the photos, it comes off as more of a sheen. It's not a really obvious shimmer… kinda yellowy-gold shimmer (at least that's the impression I got). She was released in the March 2013 Playful Collection (Boho Glam). Andrea is described by Julep as a, "brilliant full-coverage bronze glitter" & was released in December 2013 in the Glitterati Collection (Bombshell). I'm not feeling bronze per se, more gold or yellow, I think.



The formula on Leila was… well… as ALL yellow crème polishes, on the streaky side. Consistency was thick & I had hopes for better coverage but nope. I still needed to use 3 coats of polish (which I hate, it makes it look to thick on the nail). The formula on Andrea was fine, as was consistency. Not too thick as some of the glitters can be. I used 2 coats of Andrea over 2 coats of Leila on the ring finger. I did my usual mani prep and cleanup and followed with Julep's Freedom Polymer topcoat.

One thing I have noticed… since starting the Month of Julep, I have been using the Julep Nail Therapy base coat (the blue one) and the Freedom Polymer topcoat almost exclusively. I'm about 2/3-3/4 the way through both bottles and it's starting to get thick & goopy. I still have another 5 manis so I might grab another bottle of Freedom (I have a few kicking around) and start using the Oxygen smoothing base coat. I wish Julep made a polish thinner!!!

Under LED desk lamp.


Cloudy overcast daylight (no sun at all), near windows. Sorry for the blurry pic, I didn't notice until editing. I need to start checking them when I take them!


Outside, super cloudy overcast & raining. No sun at all. *boo*



For kicks, a pic under the halogen lights in the kitchen (I thought it might pick up some of the shimmer, not really).


Overall, not a fan. It's a beautiful colour, but I just can't pull of yellow. I wish I could because I really like this (that's why I bought it!). If you love a beautiful yellow & like shimmer, this is the polish for you! The glitter Andrea doesn't really match (I know), but I wanted to give it a try and see how it looked. It's a good glitter & I think it would look awesome with purple! In retrospect, I would have used Andrea on bare nail since she is so full-coverage and having Leila underneath just makes the whole nail look thick and bulky (which I HATE). Learning more every day! :)

I purchased these polishes for myself. I just checked the Julep website and both Leila and Andrea are available and in stock (Andrea is presently on sale!).

NB: I am doing the Month of Julep entirely independently. I have NO affiliation with Julep whatsoever! I am just doing this for fun!

I'll post today's mani next...

No comments:

Post a Comment