Thursday, June 19, 2014

June is Julep Month! Day 19: Farrah

Hello my lovelies! Doing this a bit early because I have another appointment with the endodontist this afternoon (argh). I'm almost done swatching all the June Maven Box colours, hoping to have that done tonight or tomorrow afternoon at the absolute latest -- I hope you come back to see! They are stunning!

But today is Day 19 and that means "lavender". I struggled with this one but settled on "Farrah" because I have yet to use one of the "silk finish" polishes.

Wait! What's Julep month?? Click here!

Julep describes Farrah as a, "lilac silk". Ok, fair enough. She was released in January 2014 with the Boudoir Collection (It Girl). Julep describes their "silk finish" polishes as, "semi-matte with a hint of opalescence". That is a pretty accurate description! I expected it to be more matte but it's really a mid-point between matte & regular finish. I wanted to see what it would look like with a regular topcoat on it (Julep advises against topcoat for all of their special finish polishes because you will loose the desired look) so I applied the new Oxygen Performance topcoat to the ring finger only -- that's why you'll notice it's shinier than the others. It also gives me a chance to test out this topcoat for the day. :)


The formula on Farrah was fantastic. The consistency was perfect and non-gloopy. Slightly sheer but not scary sheer. I used 3 coats for these photos. More than I prefer but it turned out very nice. She also self-levels pretty good. Dry time was a teensy bit longer than usual but it was worth it. :)

Overall: my usual mani prep, one coat of the new Oxygen Smoothing base coat (I'm really loving this stuff!), 3 layers of Farrah, cleaned up a few spots with acetone & a small brush, topped the ring finger only with Oxygen Performance topcoat, and applied Julep's Mighty cuticle serum to the cuticles.

Under LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED light (just Farrah).


Macro of Oxygen Performance topcoat over Farrah. Not an obvious difference.


Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near windows.


Outdoors, bright daylight, no direct sun.


UPDATE!!
I took a sunny pic while I was out!
One thing I must say is that the ring finger with the topcoat on it REALLY brings out the micro shimmer and it was all sparkly blue & purple. I almost missed my bus staring at my nails! LOL


Overall, I LOVE this polish!! Everything from the colour to the finish. It's so elegant and pretty. A holo topcoat would knock this out of the park! I like the satin finish but I also like it with the shiny topcoat. I think a matte topcoat would work well too. Or stamping with shiny topcoat over this… so many ideas! Silver stamping over this would look stunning! As I mentioned with other manis, I can't believe I waited so long to try this one! Now I want to try all my satin finish polishes! 

I purchased this polish myself. I just checked the Julep site and Farrah is available and in stock, as is the Oxygen Smoothing base coat & the Performance topcoat (if you were interested). If you want 30% off the new Oxygen products (either individual or the duo together), use code "OXYGEN2". This code is good through June 31, 2014 so you still have another week & a half to use it. :)

NB: I am doing this Month of Julep entirely independently. I have NO affiliation with Julep whatsoever! I am simply doing this for fun!!

Up next… my Maven Box review.. and tomorrow's colour!

No comments:

Post a Comment