Sunday, June 15, 2014

June is Julep Month! Day 15: Fina

Happy Father's Day!


Unfortunately, my dad died in 1978 (suicide sucks) & I miss him tons! I still like to think of him on this day and wish he was around (okay, I think those things pretty much everyday, but ESPECIALLY on father's day). I hope you guys are giving out some dad love today!

I can't believe I'm already halfway through my Month of Julep (what the heck is a Month of Julep?? Click here for the details!. Day 15 is "chrome blue" which actually works out perfectly because my dad had these crazy blue eyes (I got my heterochromia from him!). I chose "Fina" for today's mani.

More after the jump!!
I bought this colour ages ago (maybe over the holidays??) and kinda put it aside. I can't believe I did because it's AMAZING! Julep describes Fina as a, "sky blue silvery metallic". She was released in May 2012 with the Bombshell Maven box. Even though it's an old one, it has a newer brush (not the older skinny Julep brushes). 


The formula was perfect -- only one coat!! I usually do at least 2 because I'm paranoid about balding (those thin parts that sometimes you can see until later) but seriously, one coat was all that was needed! It glided on super easily -- the consistency was perfect! It dried fairly quickly -- not too slow or fast. I really have zero complaints about this polish! The colour is amazing. It's metallic but not too metallic. It's "sky blue" but not too blue, if that makes any sense. It's almost like a super faded denim blue -- like your most favourite worn-out pair of jeans that you just can't throw away even though they are frayed along the cuffs and have a rip across the knee. <3

The ONLY thing I was crazy curious about was how it would look matte. I was guessing it would be awesome. Unfortunately I do NOT have the Julep matte topcoat because it's been out of stock on their website forever (*boo*). But I did sneak a layer of Butter London's matte topcoat onto my ring finger just to see what it would look like matte. I know it goes against the whole "Month of Julep" thing -- but what's a girl to do?? I would totally use the Julep one if it was available!!

In sum: usual mani prep using Julep products, one layer of Julep's Nail Therapy base coat (the blue one), one layer of "Fina", one layer of Butter London's matte topcoat (on ring finger only), one layer of Freedom Polymer topcoat (on all nails except ring finger). Usual cleanup routine and application of Julep's Mighty Cuticle serum.

Here's how it turned out, what do you think?? I know it looks different in each pic but it really does look different depending on what light is hitting it. But that's what makes it special! <3

Under LED desk lamp.

Macro under LED light.


Macro of Fina with Butter London's matte topcoat under LED light.


Bright indoor daylight, near windows (no sunlight).


Bright outdoor daylight (no sun).


Of course, the clouds covered the sun when I took these pics… grr. 


Sun came out!


I totally love this colour! I can't believe I waited so long to try it! I'm definitely going to find a backup of this one. I'm shocked Julep discontinued it!!

I purchased this polish myself. I just checked the Julep website and unfortunately "Fina" is retired and unavailable for purchase. Julep is known to rerelease retired shades so put it on your Julep wish list and keep checking back -- if you see it, grab it up! You can find all the "retired" Julep colours if you go to their website and click Shop-->Nail Polish-->Retired. You can still add retired polishes to your wish list and view that through your account login. I frequently check my wish list to see if any of the retired shades I want are suddenly in stock. You can also check polish sale/swap groups on Facebook (there are so many!) or other sites. You can also try store sites like eBay or StoreEnvy.

NB: I am doing this Month of Julep completely independently. I have NO affiliation with Julep whatsoever!! I am doing this just for fun!

What's up for tomorrow?? Come back and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment