Thursday, May 29, 2014

Julep - Saaya & Jane

I received Saaya in my May Julep Maven box (I upgraded to the Polish Lover's collection, as usual!), the theme for may was "The Fresh Twist Collection". Julep describes her as a "golden apricot shimmer", which I think is pretty accurate. It's a light orange with gold shimmer/sheen. It's one of those colours I would never normally wear but I keep staring at it so I thought I'd give it a go! To enhance the shade and add some sparkle, I used Julep's Jane (named after Julep's founder Jane Park) on the accent nail. This shade is described by Julep as a, "full-coverage rose gold multi-dimensional glitter". 

I'm super pale so warmer colours like this look kinda "meh" on me. If you have a tan or darker skin tones, this colour would look absolutely stunning on you!

Okay, onto the polish!!
Saaya: The formula wasn't too thin or thick. I opted to use the brush it comes with and not use the Plié Wand -- not for any particular reason, just kind of a last-minute thing. I tried to get away with 2 coats but it really did need 3. I find polishes like this tend to look too "thick" with 3 coats but oh well. I added one coat of Seche Vite topcoat.
Jane: I just used it on the accent nail after 2 coats of Saaya. I applied 2 coats of Jane and one coat of Seche Vite. In the pictures you can see the Saaya polish through it but in real life, 2 coats looks full-coverage.

NB: I know some people have complained about the consistency of both these polishes (among others by Julep), I did not have any issues with these colours for this mani. I have had issues with thickness on a few other polishes but I didn't think it was a big deal. A few drops of thinner (I use Seche Restore, even though it's not 3-free, I totally don't care) fixes them. If you do want to thin out a thickened polish (regardless of brand) DO NOT use polish remover or acetone!! Buy a polish thinner!! It DOES make a difference and they are NOT the same thing! Remover or acetone will break down your polish and ruin it. Thinner is made of polish ingredients so it's kinda replacing what evaporated and caused your polish to thicken in the first place. It's like hydration for your polish. Remover and acetone will eat it.
It was so hard to capture the shimmer! I hope you can see a bit of it in these pictures. It's really pretty and you can see it in real life, though it's subtle.

Under my LED desk lamp.


Macro under LED light.

Indoors, bright daylight (no direct sun), near the windows.


Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).

Outside, bright daylight (no direct sun).

Outside, direct sunlight.

Outside, direct sunlight Macro.

The next day (I did this mani yesterday), I decided to put Enchanted Polish "Secret Sauce" over it and OMG! It seriously takes it to 11 (sorry, Spinal Tap reference). Seriously though, it is psychotically beautiful! Unfortunately, despite many, many attempts under lots of different lighting my camera would not pick up the shimmer. How frustrating! But if you have both Julep's Saaya and EP's Secret Sauce, doooo iiitttt! You will love me!

I purchased both of these Julep polishes (Saaya and Jane) myself. You can purchase Julep products from their website and at Sephora (though I heard they may no longer be carrying Julep?? I have yet to confirm). I just checked the Julep website and Saaya IS in stock but Jane is not. *boo* You can find Jane on various sales/swap boards and (of course) on sale sites like eBay & StoreEnvy.

No comments:

Post a Comment