Saturday, May 17, 2014

An Attempt At Half-Moons using Julep's Zelda and Trina

I usually don't do much nail art. I have tried but even stamping poses a challenge for me. I'm way better at just straight-swatches (i.e. one colour only!). But I was feeling brave so I decided to try doing half-moons with Julep Zelda (a gorgeous gold foil-finish polish) and Julep Trina (a deep dark shimmery purple, reminds me of grape popsicles!).

I had no idea where to start so I Google-searched a few tutorials and got out a sheet of reenforcement stickers. I dabbed them on the back of my hand to get some of the adhesive off (this is so it doesn't rip off half your polish!). I painted my nails first with Julep's Zelda (just one coat). I looovveee this colour!! I want to use it for everything now! It was in my untried pile, now I want to paint my room with it! After it dried I placed the reenforcement stickers at the base of the nail, near the cuticle where I wanted the "half-moon" shape to be. Of course, I had taken off too much adhesive by sticking them on my skin so they kept lifting up. I used Scotch tape to hold them down (keeping the tape off my nails). My nails are still super curvy and the reinforcements kept lifting at the edges. Grr. See what I mean?? I'm not good at nail art!

I kept at it though and proceeded to paint over the uncovered part of my nail with Julep's Trina (another untried but I lovelovelove this colour! It's a very dark purple but had a glowy purple shimmer inside, it's so pretty! Again, it reminds me of grape popsicles, I love it!

Immediately after painting with Trina I pulled off the tape and reinforcements. I covered it with a topcoat (Seche Vite). This is how it turned out. Kinda blah. It looked messy around the edges so I used a small nail art brush to kinda fill in the weird parts and straighten the lines a bit. It didn't help much. Anyway, here it is.

I took this picture under halogen lighting in my kitchen.

I would most likely try this look again. I like the aesthetic of it, it's just too messy for me to wear out of the house! I'm kinda weird about my nails being messy. It was a fun attempt though.

Any tips??

I purchased these polishes myself from Julep (though these are older shades and may/may not be available presently). You can find Julep polishes at Julep and Sephora.

No comments:

Post a Comment